Briggs go fast info

GoldenMotor.com

Intrepid Wheelwoman

Oct 29, 2011
Hauraki District, New Zealand
I only checked out the second link as well and there is certainly some good tips on flathead tuning there. On the flathead 4 cylinder Ford engines I used to tune up the trick was to take the top ring off the pistons and relieve the block down to just above the second ring taking care to stay inside the head gasket sealing area. They would certainly breath well then :D
With tuning a flathead raising the compression doesn't count for much, - it's getting them to breath well that will raise their horsepower.

Something I didn't understand though was how everyone in that thread was talking about using a grinding tool like the Dremel. Yes I did use a grinding tool to open out ports and smooth them off, but block relieving I always did with ordinary files. This is one place where taking your time and working to get a good shape and smooth flow really pays. Not to mention that it's far too easy to accidentally ruin valve seats or the cylinder bore if you slip with a grinder.

FFV8

Oct 29, 2013
Spring Valley NV
I only checked out the second link as well and there is certainly some good tips on flathead tuning there. On the flathead 4 cylinder Ford engines I used to tune up the trick was to take the top ring off the pistons and relieve the block down to just above the second ring taking care to stay inside the head gasket sealing area. They would certainly breath well then :D
With tuning a flathead raising the compression doesn't count for much, - it's getting them to breath well that will raise their horsepower.

Something I didn't understand though was how everyone in that thread was talking about using a grinding tool like the Dremel. Yes I did use a grinding tool to open out ports and smooth them off, but block relieving I always did with ordinary files. This is one place where taking your time and working to get a good shape and smooth flow really pays. Not to mention that it's far too easy to accidentally ruin valve seats or the cylinder bore if you slip with a grinder.
Flathead ford V8's respond to flow better than compression as well. FFV8?

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
Thanks for posting the links.
I will review them, for sure!

Yup. Pretty difficult to raise compression on a sidevalve engine.
:)
rc

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
Stuffing the biggest valves that will fit and porting it properly will increase power with a cam change.
Look into Jr. drag racing engines for every high perf part you could ever want.

headtrama

Jul 8, 2010
california
Only draw back to that is you will be rebuilding it every eight hours or so. It cost money to go fast and then cost more money to keep going fast.