Coaster brake to freewheel. Found this video

GoldenMotor.com

Danschutz

Aug 19, 2013
Wyoming
I want to eliminate the coaster brake on my single speed Cruiser, Ive searched this forum and did a google search and came up with this video. My big question is, I think for just a regular everyday cruiser this will work but would this be safe for a motorized bike.

http://youtu.be/9YCujPo2Qjs

I purchased a RoadMaster mountain bike for parts, using the front forks for added suspension and front brakes also using the handlebars. The rear wheel is intact and I suppose it works fine, can I use anything from it to get to my goal of a freewheel?

Thanks!
Dan.

Last edited:

Danschutz

Aug 19, 2013
Wyoming
You can use the entire rear wheel and gears if you like.
Adding rear hand brakes is a great idea on any coaster brake bike, especially when removing the coaster!
Do a search on adding brakes to cruisers.
I like this way myself...works on any steel frame.
http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=45784
Thank you for chiming in I've read a lot of your comments around here!

I have one parts bike left that I can K-ball that front brake off and have one of my buddies do a little welding for me :) thanks for the tip. I had planned on having someone weld those little attachment points from a rear brake set to my frame but this idea is much simpler!!!

Ok, I grabbed my caliper and took some measurements. The rear chassis on the mountain bike is much wider (of course) also I'm trying to build something that will be cosmetically pleasing as well as a good runner so I guess I want to stick with the matching rims for now.

Do you think the video shows a viable option for a freewheeling rear wheel on a motorized bicycle?

Thanks, Dan

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
The cruiser frame can easily be spread to accept the geared wheel. I've done this many times with no problems. Just use a small import car screw jack to spread the dropouts carefully. Don't go nuts, just a bit at a time till the wheel fits.
The brakes are much harder than mounting the wheel...trust me.
You should only need a couple inches at most.

Danschutz

Aug 19, 2013
Wyoming
Ok. I was trying to avoid using the old mountain bike wheel because the rim is kinda rusty and overall beat looking. I called the fellow that I got the cruiser from knowing he has a boneyard and he has some 1983 Ross Force wheels for 30 bucks. Hmmm, gold wheels not quite what I had in mind but I want to paint the frame black during the winter (winter is at least 6 months long here) and maybe black and gold won't look to bad.

I guess some frame spreading is in my future.

Dan.

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
Old used rims are easily found. Look at yard sales, thrift stores etc. for used bikes with good parts.

Danschutz

Aug 19, 2013
Wyoming
Big question for you.

The drive sprockets (9 hole) holes don't quite clear my hub. Do I hog out the hub with a dremel or hog out the sprocket? In one sense dremeling the hub seems like it would put the power more on the hub and less on the spokes Im afraid of weakening the hub though.

The picture shows where I need to remove parts of the hub (marked in black) actually I need to remove just a little more than the black marks.

Ideas?

Thanks............Again :)

Dan.