Difference with disk brakes?

GoldenMotor.com

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Disc brakes are by far superior to any other type. The bigger the rotor, the better stopping power you'll have.

There are many drum brake users who will swear by them but the fact is that disc, either mechanical or hydraulic, will out stop any bicycle brake currently available.
The trick is to use a front fork/hub designed for disc brakes and installing rear disc on a chain drive motorized bicycle can present some challenges that will require some fabrication and/or typically running a smaller than standard rear sprocket due to chain/caliper interference.

Tom

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
I have one bike with over 1800 miles on it and I've never adjusted the front disc brake or needed to replace the pads. It stops today as it did when new. I have two other bikes with front disc but they don't have as many miles on them but the brakes still feel like new.
I've never personally used drum brakes so I don't have a basis of comparison on maintenance but I would guess drums require a little more than disc. Maybe a drum user will chime in.

Tom

dumpstercrusher

May 20, 2013
Glen Burnie, Maryland
well i use a drum brake set and it really does suck. i just went thru a pair of pads and had to take my other pads from my other bike and put them on. Thought disk brakes would be worth it on the front

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
The only time I need to adjust my drum brakes is when the cable stretches, which I imagine could also happen with a disc. The bigger the drum, the better the stopping power as well. You don't need a special fork for drum brakes, because if the forks dont have a stud, you can always fabricate a bracket. Some drum brakes even come with one. Drums are also virtually impervious to weather. Driving through a flood might cause them to fail, but then again if your in water high enough to reach your axles, probably not running your motor anyway. As with coaster brakes (also a type of drum btw), long downhill descents may cause the brakes to fade. If I bought a bike that came with discs, I'd try them out and decide how I like them. But using a drum is bound to be cheaper than converting a non-disc bike to bikes. Heck, I only paid $35 for my steel Worksman wheel with drum. Can't beat that.

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
Here is my feeling on disc brakes http://motorbicycling.com/showpost.php?p=412006&postcount=74

But I did have a problem with my front caliper backing off. But I believe it was my cheap tecktro brakes. A little thread lock on the pad adjuster solved the problem.

This bike is going on year three with thousands of miles and I have yet to change my pads. My pads on my BoXer get changed up to three times a year depending on how hard I ride it and how much track time I have.

dodge dude94

Jun 8, 2012
East Texas
Personally having a pedal bike with disc brakes, they're awesome. If you get GOOD brakes (IE, Avid, Hayes) pads are easy to find and quick to replace if you need to. I think a 180mm rotor would be a good start for an motorized bicycle. After that would be the downhill 203mm rotor. As 2door stated above, the hard part is getting them to adapt to the rear unless you have a shifter bike and use a shift kit.

I think that once you go from a coaster brake, to some other brake, to dual disks, you'll never go back again.