Ebay disc coversion kit??

GoldenMotor.com

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
If the quality is there the front brake might be okay but keep in mind that you could run into interference with the engine drive chain/sprocket on the rear.
Of course that's assuming your bike is motorized and not a friction drive or you're using a shift kit.

Tom

Andyinchville1

Manufacturer/Dealer
Dec 26, 2007
Scottsville, VA
HI,

I like the concept of being able to add a disc brake to any bike.

However, I did read somewhere though that adding a front disc brake to a bike that was not originally designed for a disc brake can be potentially dangerous because the front fork may not be strong enough to handle the braking forces....I wish I could remember where I read that tho....Maybe somebody else can chine in on this?

As far as the adding a disc brake to the rear, I cannot recall ever reading anything negative about that.

As far as drive sprocket issues w/ a disc brake a Top Hat and the proper spacing should take care of that.

Hope this helps.

Andrew

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
HI,

I like the concept of being able to add a disc brake to any bike.

However, I did read somewhere though that adding a front disc brake to a bike that was not originally designed for a disc brake can be potentially dangerous because the front fork may not be strong enough to handle the braking forces....I wish I could remember where I read that tho....Maybe somebody else can chine in on this?

As far as the adding a disc brake to the rear, I cannot recall ever reading anything negative about that.

As far as drive sprocket issues w/ a disc brake a Top Hat and the proper spacing should take care of that.

Hope this helps.

Andrew
Andy,

I recall reading something similar on Sheldon Brown's website. It also addressed the issue of a fork that did not have 'Lawyer Lips' not being suitable for disc brakes. It was a few years ago that I read that. Could that be the article you remember? If my memory serves me I was researching information on quick release axles and disc brakes when I found it.

Tom

ELRider

Mar 8, 2013
Boston
@ 2Door: I was thinking of only using this for the front brake, my bike currently has v-brakes for the front and rear, and right now just looking to optimize front brakes.

Also I just realized this may not work at all for me the hub is for a 28/36 my bike is neither

Last edited:

Bobjr59

Feb 20, 2012
Covington,Georgia
I'd have to wait and see if there was any problems before I even thought about going with something like that. has anybody here used anything like it before ?

Andyinchville1

Manufacturer/Dealer
Dec 26, 2007
Scottsville, VA
Andy,

I recall reading something similar on Sheldon Brown's website. It also addressed the issue of a fork that did not have 'Lawyer Lips' not being suitable for disc brakes. It was a few years ago that I read that. Could that be the article you remember? If my memory serves me I was researching information on quick release axles and disc brakes when I found it.

Tom
Hi Tom,

I have seen the fork strength issue brought up in a couple different places but here is one link that I found again (look under the disc brake section):

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/brandt/brakes.html#delta

This link did not get specifically into the "lawyer lips" per se but it talks about fork strength or lack thereof when using a non disc brake fork and attempting to retrofit a disc brake system onto it.

I'll look to see if I can find the other link I was thinking about.

Andrew