Where to find 3/8 axle long enough to fit motorcycle forks?

GoldenMotor.com

culvercityclassic

Sep 27, 2009
Culver City, Ca
You will not find that thread at lowes... Bicycle chit is on a whole different level...best bet is to call worksman and ask wtf is that thread on that axle... No wasted money on that call

BigBlue

Nov 29, 2011
California
I don't know if this matters or not, but according to the Tricycle Owner's Manual, there are two type of axles. The new hub axle has pressed bearings (L509) while the old style had loose bearings. I see only one nut (L815) listed in the Owner's Manual, page 1. It may only fit the new style.

Now the Heavy Duty Bicycle Owner's Manual lists two axles bearings L817 (loose) and L817-B (sealed), but no individual axle.

Both the tricycle and bicycle use the same axle set L709.

Is it a possibility that there are two size nuts? One for the old axle and one for the new? Is it possible the axles are different sizes? Which drum brake do you have? Sealed or loose? If you have an old axle, a new nut may not fit.

http://worksmancycles.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/media/MANUALAdaptable.pdf
http://worksmancycles.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/media/MANUALIndustrialBikes.pdf

Good Luck,

Chris
AKA: BigBlue

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
I don't know if this matters or not, but according to the Tricycle Owner's Manual, there are two type of axles. The new hub axle has pressed bearings (L509) while the old style had loose bearings. I see only one nut (L815) listed in the Owner's Manual, page 1. It may only fit the new style.

Now the Heavy Duty Bicycle Owner's Manual lists two axles bearings L817 (loose) and L817-B (sealed), but no individual axle.

Both the tricycle and bicycle use the same axle set L709.

Is it a possibility that there are two size nuts? One for the old axle and one for the new? Is it possible the axles are different sizes? Which drum brake do you have? Sealed or loose? If you have an old axle, a new nut may not fit.

http://worksmancycles.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/media/MANUALAdaptable.pdf
http://worksmancycles.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/media/MANUALIndustrialBikes.pdf

Good Luck,

Chris
AKA: BigBlue
My axle actually has pressed bearings. I still think the easiest way is to take it somewhere that has a pitch gauge.

Blakenstein

Sep 15, 2009
Alta. Canada.
OK OK OK !!! enough is enough !!! If you go and get some kind of substitute for an axle, just remember, that bicycle axles do not go by the regular National fine. Bicycle axles have many different thread pitches. How will your cones fit ?? Did you earlier say that 7.28 would be ok?? If so then 7.25 inches should be ok also.
Why not go with 10mm which is really close to 3/8 inches A common thread pitch for 10mm is a 10 - 1 pitch. Very easy to get cones for. AS long as you tell the bike store what thread pitch you want which would be a 10-1 pitch.
For length I know where you can get 10mm axles with a 10 - 1 pitch . At 187 mm long which is aprox 7.25 inches. These axles are American machined and are chrome molybdenem .so i spelled it wrong...anyway, they also have new lugnuts. for cheap.
Look em up if you want and browse their parts..they are FNTASTIC!!
I orderd 5 axles from them 187 mm long with a set of brand new lug nuts. They are on the eastern seabord of the U.S.A. I live in north WEstern CANADA the axels came in 6 days !!!! ( 10-1 thread pitch ) I also phoned them up up to confirm my order and to make sure that they got the sizes right. These dudes are SUPER !!!
Their name is HARRIS CYCLERY you fin em easy . just punch them in on your browser. I hope this helps.

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
OK OK OK !!! enough is enough !!! If you go and get some kind of substitute for an axle, just remember, that bicycle axles do not go by the regular National fine. Bicycle axles have many different thread pitches. How will your cones fit ?? Did you earlier say that 7.28 would be ok?? If so then 7.25 inches should be ok also.
Why not go with 10mm which is really close to 3/8 inches A common thread pitch for 10mm is a 10 - 1 pitch. Very easy to get cones for. AS long as you tell the bike store what thread pitch you want which would be a 10-1 pitch.
For length I know where you can get 10mm axles with a 10 - 1 pitch . At 187 mm long which is aprox 7.25 inches. These axles are American machined and are chrome molybdenem .so i spelled it wrong...anyway, they also have new lugnuts. for cheap.
Look em up if you want and browse their parts..they are FNTASTIC!!
I orderd 5 axles from them 187 mm long with a set of brand new lug nuts. They are on the eastern seabord of the U.S.A. I live in north WEstern CANADA the axels came in 6 days !!!! ( 10-1 thread pitch ) I also phoned them up up to confirm my order and to make sure that they got the sizes right. These dudes are SUPER !!!
Their name is HARRIS CYCLERY you fin em easy . just punch them in on your browser. I hope this helps.
Jenson USA has the exact same axles (Wheels Manufacturing 10x1x187 solid chromoly) about $5 cheaper than Harris. If you read all my posts, you probably read that I'm gonna take the axle that's on the wheel now and bring it to a place that has a pitch gauge so that I know I can order the exact same thread pitch, and the cones I have will go on the new axle. That seems pretty simple to me.

Blakenstein

Sep 15, 2009
Alta. Canada.
Jenson USA has the exact same axles (Wheels Manufacturing 10x1x187 solid chromoly) about $5 cheaper than Harris. If you read all my posts, you probably read that I'm gonna take the axle that's on the wheel now and bring it to a place that has a pitch gauge so that I know I can order the exact same thread pitch, and the cones I have will go on the new axle. That seems pretty simple to me.
Yep I forgot to mention the gauge at the bike shop. That's what I had to do. They could not get them as long as 7.25" but they did put my short axle in a gauge and they told me the pitch.
Yap, that's the way to do it,.....o by the way, Have a HAPPY NEW YEAR.

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
I took the rear axle off a full suspension mountain bike, and lo and behold its long enough. I have the axle on my wheel and I have cones on it, I do need to find locking nuts and maybe some more spacers, but I should have the front wheel on some time in the next few days, depends on my work schedule.