GoldenMotor.com

Mr. Minecraft

Visionary
Jan 13, 2012
San Diego
Is it safer and more efficient to buy:

A front drum brake hub and get it threaded in my current wheel

or

Buy a front fork with a disk brake mount, then buy a disk brake set up and hub?

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
I think you will come out cheaper with a front drum brake wheel, from a vendor like Husky. If you change bikes, the drum wheel can fit any fork. If you plan to be a speed demon, the disk has more stopping power.

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Is it safer and more efficient to buy:

A front drum brake hub and get it threaded in my current wheel

or

Buy a front fork with a disk brake mount, then buy a disk brake set up and hub?
This post will prolly get moved to the Wheels, Brakes and Suspension section of the forum, but I put a suspension fork and a hydrauic disc brake on my Felt Slant. I believe it to be better stopping power that the typical Sturmy Archer drum type brake.....I've used both.

Last edited:

Sinistar

Dec 18, 2011
Memphis TN
I would get the disc it just stops better remember larger diameter stops cooler.

Scotto Your pic you posted of your bike that is a GTC friction trans it looks like. What kinda motor is it put on? is it a Huasheng?

Ibedayank

Oct 29, 2011
Columbia Tennessee
I would get the disc it just stops better remember larger diameter stops cooler.

Scotto Your pic you posted of your bike that is a GTC friction trans it looks like. What kinda motor is it put on? is it a Huasheng?
did not know they made a hs with a slanting cylinder that is capable of turning a CVT. Can you post a link to that motor please.

now this motor looks to be the correct as the one Scotto used...

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
I have a Worksman front drum brake on my main, daily rider. Not great stopping power. Don't get me wrong, the worksman wheel is my favorite MB part and migrates from build to build but is more of an anti locking brake then a "whooly sheep! hit the brakes" brake. Added side pulls and it will stop the front wheel dead now.

It has the stout, old world MB look I wanted but it was not intended to be going from 35 MPH to stop.

So if a good friend asked me to build them a very safe MB, I would suggest a disk brake.