Building wheels..

GoldenMotor.com

robwizard

May 3, 2012
North West, UK
I'm building a board track style bike and am a bit confused as to wheel sizes/strength..

36 hole Moped hub, bmx rim, burly spokes, appropriate sized sprocket adapted somehow on moped rim, awesome looking tire. Job done?

And then the same for the front minus the sprocket? I figure a decent sized moped brake drum should give ample stopping power for my villiers powered bicycle?

Cheers

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
You're on the right track. There are spoke calculators on the internet to help you determine what length spokes you need. While you are shopping for moped hubs, pick a rear one that has a driven sprocket already mounted. You can always change the size of the sprocket to what you want later. Then you have eliminated the need for a hub adapter for a sprocket which may be hard to find in a moped size and bound to be expensive. There are many different configurations for moped hubs, just look for one that satisfies your needs... pedal sprocket on the right side, engine driven sprocket on the left and drum brake built in. Oh, and 36 spokes as you said. The right hub may cost you less than a hub adapter would. Up front you want something beefy with most of your stopping power. I've heard people speak well of Honda hubs. Don't know offhand from what.
What Villiars engine are you using?
SB

robwizard

May 3, 2012
North West, UK
I'm using an engine I bought of Ebay.. it is a Villiers engine and it was covered in grass when it arrived! Other than that I know nothing.. I couldn't find any info from the serial number :(

The hub arrived with no sprocket or brake parts but it only cost me £6 and I can source the remaining bits without too much difficulty I think.. What sort of rim would you guys recomend? I was thinking a burly 26" rim should suit but I don't know what the deal with tyres and stuff is? Need to get a front hub now I think..