Springer Joy

GoldenMotor.com

Dymaxion

Jan 1, 2010
Michigan
I putter around town on my MB often enough and it always makes me smile, but it is not the smoothest ride you could ever have. Well this morning I finally got around to putting a springer fork on it and just got back from the shakedown run... WOW! What a difference! I have never used springers on a bicycle before but it really smooths out the ride. HUGE difference.

Quick question - any reason not to lock-tite the through-spring bolt? It almost vibrated loose already. Thanks.

Now I better go and get some mowing done so I can ride again this afternoon. Hey, I wonder if I can get some springers on the 1953 Ford tractor I mow with?? It's not the smoothest ride either. Hmmm....

Last edited:

Highwaystar

Jan 22, 2012
Indiana
There should be a small allen set screw on the back side of the bolt.
None of the 6 springers I have have a set screw. That is a great idea though.

I put a drop of blue threadlock in the nut and run it down to where you want it. Pay attetion to the hole the bolt passes through. We have terribly bad roads, I had a Felt springer wear out in less than 300 miles. I ended up putting Felt's Abraham forks on it. Much better now.

Dymaxion

Jan 1, 2010
Michigan
Locknut? Too easy - why didn't I think of that. I guess you get so used to dipping the whole bike in lock-tite that it becomes the answer to every question.

I'll stick a lock nut on it and ride away.

maurtis

Dec 14, 2011
Kyle, TX
Mine came from bikebuyers and did not have a set screw either, so I added a nylock nut to the backside. I have not had a problem since!

But having to crank down the spring bolt enough to grab the nylon portion of the new nut tightened the spring so much that it is really firm. There is still space between the spring coils for compression, but it is not the plush ride it was when the end of the bolt was flush with the bolt keeper, as it was set up when delivered.

Funny you should mention dipping the bike in locktite, I realized last night that I was almost through my second tube of blue on this build, lol.

Dymaxion

Jan 1, 2010
Michigan
Maurtis - thanks. That is exactly what I did and it did tighten up the ride a bit, but I think it is actually set perfectly for my weight this way.