RV Batteries

GoldenMotor.com

POPS

Sep 8, 2008
Vancouver Island BC .Canada
Hi all...OK I'm new to all of this and real bad at math but here is my question.It seems that the biggest problem with electric is size vs. amp hours. If a person could get 2 RV gell cell batteries that are 90 amp hours on a bike would you not have unlimited power and range compaired to small batts? What am I missing here ?:confused: Thanks ..POPS

Last edited:

Merlin

Sep 17, 2008
weight, for a start.
It takes a lot of power to pull those heavy batteries around

POPS

Sep 8, 2008
weight, for a start.
It takes a lot of power to pull those heavy batteries around
Thanks Merlin and Weedylot for the reply. I weigh about 165 pounds. A pair of 27 series gell cell batteries weigh about 100 pounds. If a person were to mount them on a small trailer to tow behind the bike the rolling resistance would not be alot on the flats. On hills if I used the Cyclone 500 watt running threw the gears I should be able to climb a pretty good grade. By having all those amps available power should not be an issue. On the other hand take a guy that weights 235 pounds and has 30 pounds of small batteries on the bike with him and no gearing and he will not have the amps to climb at all. I used to go fishing with a paddle boat with a MinKota motor and one of these batteries. The boat weighs 100 lbs. Add the wife, all the fishing gear, fish finder and CD player hooked to the same battery, BEER and me it comes in around 600 lbs. Trolling around the lake for 6-8 hours steady at half throttle pushing that brick through the water and still had about 25 % battery left at the end of the day. On the odd occation when I had to tow the boat to shore by rope with no people in it was like dragging a tank. Now I know water is different than land BUT pushing a bike with a trailer behind on flat ground offers very little resistance in compairison and i've got 7 gears to play with. Buy the way I still have that battery 7 years later and it's still going. I would like to hear any and all coments guys. Thanks for reading my rant...POPS

UncleKudzu

May 26, 2008
Deep in the American South
you must take good care of your batteries to have that one for 7 years and still going strong. i've been thinking about getting an electronic desulfator for a couple of smaller deep cycles that i failed to maintain properly.

yeah, those big lead acid batteries are heavy, but then big amp hours seems like what you'd need to go distances and climb hills. are you using some kind of 12 volt motor? or do you need the two batteries for 24 volt?

POPS

Sep 8, 2008
To tell the truth I didn't take care of that batterie very good at all.Dropped down a 50-75 foot hill a couple of times,submerged it, never charged it all winter, pulled it out in spring and set my automatic canadian tire charger to gell setting on 2 amps and away we go!!! The Cyclone motor is a 24 volt motor running threw the 7 gears. Hence two 12 volts.

Last edited:

Weedylot

Angry Old Fart
Jun 12, 2008
Tucson Arizona
A seven speed electric is very efficient and yes, with a couple deep cycle gels you'll go far. I think towing a battery trailer is the way to go to achieve huge range.

POPS

Sep 8, 2008
Thanks Weedylot. I needed an opinion to know if I was headed in the right direction. Nice to know a master is with me on this thought. Well I guess all thats left is the build. POPS

POPS

Sep 8, 2008
Might want to think about Putin the motor on the trailer also, something a few fellas have been doing over on the Endless Sphere forums... Some VERY knowledgeable and skilled fabricators over there, when it comes to EV bicycles its the place to be ;-)
Hi Dan / Aussie
Dan ...I did check his out. It's sorta funny. Every "ORIGINAL" thought I had is covered in some way,shape or form.But I'm not giveing up.
Aussie...First off SICK build dude...keep up the good work. Can't wait to see that first ride. As for the motor on the trailer, I'm trying to keep it as narrow as possible to be able to stay in the bike lanes here. With the Cyclone 500 @ 9lbs. I think it is a non issue. I'm going to mount the 500 first just to test it out but I think I'm going to mount a Cyclone 1500 on my personal ride next spring. I need some speed and hill climbing ability. I'll sell 500 watt units to the public as this is whats legal here. Ps. I am on endless...Sorta way over my head in the math dept. But I'm learning...Thanks for the comments and the iders guys...STAY IN BETWEEN THE LINES AND RIDEM LIKE YA STOLE EM POPS(c)