MTB tire size x rim size

GoldenMotor.com

madmax16117

Mar 8, 2012
Pa
Hi guys. I have some questions maybe some of you more experienced folks can help me.
My mountain bike has a 26" x 2.1" tire with the heavy off road lugs. I would like to change them to a more street friendly pattern ( I like the look of hookworms) but a 2.5" is all I'm finding and won't fit inside my frame let alone the chain, can't find a 2.2 anywhere.
My rims are 22 3/8" x .820 approx. ( can measure better when I get the tire off) but this measurement is fairly close. The rims seem narrow compared to the sizes I'm reading for most rims. Rims of 2" are average?
If I have to change the rims then I will. So my axle mount is 5 3/8 inside. If I want wider rims with the heavy spokes whats the best and where to get them?
And can I get a tire & rim combo so I know they fit?
The bike is a GMC top kick, motor DAX GP 50, SBP shift kit, 7 speed shimano railer.
Any help would be greatly appreciated. Michaelbrnot

Last edited:

ocho ninja

Jan 14, 2012
San Jose, CA
If your going from your current size tire to another tire of the same size then you should be okay with your current rim.
Some good road friendly tires that look very nice are the Serfas Drifter tires. And they usually come in sizes like 26x 2.1

I'm running some 2.1 tires on my bike and my rim width is about 7/8 of an inch

NormO

Jun 15, 2011
New Brunswick,Canada
Bicycle tires and rims are weird. There not like automotive tires or even motorcycle tires. If you were able to use 26" rims then you could basically take it to the bank that a 26" tire would fit it. Doesn't matter what the width is. 26" appears to be overall height of the tire. The 2.1" is of course the width. I've not tried too many different combinations, but i do know that you can safely go to a 2.30" and a 1.95" tire. May be able to go wider or narrower again i just haven't tried every combination. I've also seen a table somewhere on what width tires will work on what rims, but i'll be darned if i can remember where.

madmax16117

Mar 8, 2012
Pa
Thanks. I have been reading a lot of info on tires, rims, hubs & spokes.
It seems to be kinda just like RC cars no standards. All manufactures are doing their own thing.
Oh there are some things like gauge, chain n screw thread that have been established but I can't tell what goes an what don't. Some merchants are much better at listing sizes and giving information than others.
They be the ones getting my hard earned $$$ at this point. Other than that I just won't buy till I've learned more. This site has been a big help in the learning processes. Thanks guys...