Coaster Brake Problem

GoldenMotor.com

mandorider

Nov 5, 2009
IL
I have searched the forum High and low and there are a ton of posts on coaster brakes some say awesome, some say not but I have a problem which I am trying to find out if it is typical or if there is something wrong.
Ok, so... my build is a basic one. Raw motor 80 on a walmart huffy with coaster brake. when I brake, the brake locks and wants to kick me forward which is dangerous cause it also will not stop. When this happens, the axle seems to come loose and then there is play in the wheel. This happened several times and am not sure if I did something wrong or if there is a reason this is happening that I dont quite understand. Please share your thoughts.

PerryP180

Jun 24, 2011
Atlanta, GA
I've done a grand total of one coaster brake and it worked out fine. I had to bend the break lever on the hub to a "Z" shape for it to clear the drive sprocket. The tension nut(between the brake lever and the hub)on the hub took a lot of playing around with for proper tightness and the nut between the brake lever and the frame I just tightened the crap out of. From what I went through it sounds like something is wrong inside the hub part of the brake assembly. Did you take it apart to grease it?

mandorider

Nov 5, 2009
IL
I did secure it properly. In fact, this last time that it occured it acrualy twisted and mangled the arm.

mandorider

Nov 5, 2009
IL
Just to clarify, when this happens, the pedals want to keep going forward in the direction that i would be pedaling in. The arm is secured very well in fact.

Al.Fisherman

Sep 9, 2009
Calera, Alabama
Not totally sure, but I think that the coaster brake is too tight, and garbing. You might want to loosen the coaster hub a tad.

Last edited:

Al.Fisherman

Sep 9, 2009
Calera, Alabama
This just might help.
Coaster brake maintenace (backwards pedal brakes)

http://www.troubleshooters.com/bicycles/1speed/1speed_overhaul.htm

Quote from web
There's basically only one adjustment to be made on a coaster brake, the adjustment of the bearing cones. This adjustment can usually be made without even removing the wheel from the bike.

The left cone is attached to the reaction arm (the arm that runs below the left chainstay, and is secured to the chainstay by a clamp of some sort.)

If you loosen both axle nuts, and stick a cone wrench onto the right side cone, or its locknut, you can turn the whole axle, Since the left cone is immobilized by the reaction arm, turning the axle will adjust the cone.

If you get it too tight, the wheel will tend to bind up. Too loose, and the wheel will shake from side to side, and the brake will require a lot of pedal movement to engage.

Last edited:

Al.Fisherman

Sep 9, 2009
Calera, Alabama
My son tells me that you will have to pull the wheel. A few things can cause your problem, Can you peddle it without the chain installed? If not might be a bad bearing. If it is smooth then it isn't the bearings. Next will be that the coaster brake pads or associated parts are broken/worn out, or lack of grease. Yes, it will have to come apart. Read through the links before you attempt the dissembling the unit. For a first timer, it's not as easy as you might think.

mandorider

Nov 5, 2009
IL
Thanks everyone. Im going to take the puppy apart today just to make sure its all good based on the web info that Al Fish sent. Ill let you all know how it works out. Thanks again.

eldo

Aug 23, 2009
illinois
I have a couple 3 wheelers and a 2 wheeler. A friend bought a 2 wheeler with coaster breaks all mine have hand breaks from what I have read about it they will work but just a pain in the neck to get adjusted. Am I wright or wont they work