White wall HookWorm 2.50" DIY

GoldenMotor.com

MotoMagz

Aug 2, 2010
Michigan
So the Maxis Hookworm black side walls were not going to good with my vintage build. So I gave them white walls!!First photo is blurry do to operator error.

Attachments

MotoMagz

Aug 2, 2010
Michigan
Cleaned them really good.Used some thin pinstriping tape to follow the curve.Then Took some wide masking tape and followed the thin pistriping tape which covered the rest of the tire at the same time.The final step was the painting....Krylon Fusion Dove White.It's winter so I'm going to let em sit and cure really good.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Looking good, Moto. Thanks for sharing. That's going to look great. Be sure to post some photos of them mounted up.

Tom

motorhedfred

Jul 31, 2009
United States
Great idea. I'm anxious to see how they hold up. I tried this several years ago with this product....

Paint - Colorbond - SummitRacing.com

The first try failed even though I cleaned the snot out of the sidewall then wiped it down with mineral spirits. It peeled off after a couple of months. I bought a set of used tires from the local tire shop and did the same procedure but on an inflated tire, figuring it would open up the tiny pores and cracks in the rubber. It worked like a charm and held till the tread was gone. They were easier to clean than a regular whitewall too.

I hope it works well for you.

MHF

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
i use Plasti-Dip Spray Paint to cover up the obnoxious logos most tire companies put on the sidewalls.

it's a rubbery type paint used to coat tool handles.

i've found the best way to make it stick is to ride the tire for a week or so, to get all the mold-release agents off of it. i've tried carb cleaner, soap and water, etc, but letting the elements wear it off seems to work the best.

motorhedfred

Jul 31, 2009
United States
I guy I used to work with made his own redline wide tread tires using Plasti-Dip. He had a butterscotch colored Plymouth RoadRunner that had redlines from the factory, but the engine he built up for it would light the original size tires up with very little throttle.

I think he used to do it for other guys too, so it must have worked pretty well.

MHF

MotoMagz

Aug 2, 2010
Michigan
The way I did painted the wheels will be okay for awhile.It will not stand up to a scrubbing or any chemeicals like wheel cleaner.It looks good but won't last.The rubberized paint is the way to go.They sell actual paint for white walls but a $4 fix worked for me.

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
The way I did painted the wheels will be okay for awhile.It will not stand up to a scrubbing or any chemeicals like wheel cleaner.It looks good but won't last.The rubberized paint is the way to go.They sell actual paint for white walls but a $4 fix worked for me.
White walls......why? I was born in the 50's and don't care for them at all. If you know they won't hold up and look like crap in time, why bother?

Just me I guess.

dnut

MotoMagz

Aug 2, 2010
Michigan
ummmmm Just letting people know my results so they can try to better the technique.If they want white walls.

The_Aleman

Jul 31, 2008
el People's Republik de Kalifornistan
Scotto aint the whitewall type. I really aint either, but who else has whitewall Hookworms?
Painting tires can be art or dumb (I seen a guy use chrome paint on tires), and all I see is artist, here.

I think it's awesome. Ya know Magz, I was thinking how cool it would be to paint some Kiniptions red but then get all the red ink off the raised treads before it dried...

MotoMagz

Aug 2, 2010
Michigan
Actually the white walls are just a better look for my next build.After I built my first 2 stroke 10 yrs ago with white walls I said never again.They were trashed by the time I was done building that chinese puzzle.