China Girl Motor Timing and Ignition System Modifications!

GoldenMotor.com

corgi1

Aug 13, 2009
KCMO
Re: China Girl Timing and ignition System Modifications!

on ther VW's we used two cardbord thick for the plugs and one thick for the points,every plug came w/feeler gages

kipharley

Jul 9, 2009
Sanford,Maine

Ok, This is just an idea but:

With Go-Peds I always used to loosen the coil screws, place a paper business card between the flywheel and coil, then turn the flywheel so that the magnet pulls the coil on to the card, tighten bolts, remove card, and whalla! Near perfect magnet/coil gap!

Now I know you would have to cut/machine mounting slot instead of holes, but that wouldn't be too hard.

This is just my $0.02 and this probably isn't even what you're looking for but it's worth a shot!
NO-NO! Your $0.02 cents are priceless!
I appreciate any feed-back as long as it's constructive and I don't get the impression that your looking down your nose at me!
I concentrated on evening up the gap between the magneto and the magnet.
I can easily close the gap by adding shims on the magneto frame.
Thank you for your input!Kip.
[email protected]

kipharley

Jul 9, 2009
Sanford,Maine

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.

regurgitated cardboard?Kip.
[email protected]
Soundedfunny from over here at the moment. lol.;)
From engine hard to turn over - Third Generation F-Body Message Boards
plastigauge is cheap and very cost effective when doing an engine build, we gave a demonstration in class there is 2 to 3 thousandths bearing clearance on the crankshaft, we plastigauged it and that is what we came up with by the book 2 to 3 is good, we removed one rod bearing and installed a piece of notebook paper on a display engine, we also measured this with a dial caliper to 4 thousandths, the engine would spin by hand when the cap was torqued the engine was locked down. so 1 thousandth of an inch will bite you every time.
I have actually used notebook paper before. lol. I have motors still out in the streets running with over 200 thousand miles on them. I prefer plastiguage 98% of the time tho.:D

http://www.google.com/images?hl=en&...snum=1&sqi=2&ved=0CDMQsAQwAA&biw=1024&bih=575

Last edited:

kipharley

Jul 9, 2009
Sanford,Maine

Soundedfunny from over here at the moment. lol.;)
From engine hard to turn over - Third Generation F-Body Message Boards

I have actually used notebook paper before. lol. I have motors still out in the streets running with over 200 thousand miles on them. I prefer plastiguage 98% of the time tho.:D

plastigage - Google Search
It was funny,or at least we thought so?
Plastigage is good!Kip.
[email protected]

corgi1

Aug 13, 2009
KCMO

You mentioned the rotor not centering/loose on the shaft ,is there a lot of play?,how did you center it?,,,or where the washers the main culprit for the out of balance?

kipharley

Jul 9, 2009
Sanford,Maine

You mentioned the rotor not centering/loose on the shaft ,is there a lot of play?,how did you center it?,,,or where the washers the main culprit for the out of balance?
I think it's a combination of the whole deal!
The broached slot
The woodruff key.
The sloppy hole.
And the split washer! I didn't center it.I think the only way you could truly center it is to bore it out and then press in a sleave that has a
tighter I.D.Then turn it on a lathe.Kip.
[email protected]

Last edited:

furament

May 31, 2009
ontaro

er im lost not that hard for me realy but wtf? dooo yooouuu hav a timing light? sure if its flat it wont vibe but youv seen these things i want 4 or 5 deg advance under load wile running determind by vackume right?