Maxxon Brake Light

GoldenMotor.com

Ernst

May 28, 2011
Turlock Ca
Update:

I have mounted the switch on the brake handle and connected the cord by soldering.

The battery case has not arrived yet.
I also need to get a large diameter size piece of heat shrink to go over the switch and will fill that with silicone and then shrink that to add water resistance.

Here is the state of the switch. The screws are just two that were in the parts box and may be replaced with nicer screws when I go to the hardware store to get the heat shrink. Although they work fine they are used and abused.

I chose to solder the wires on. I have been working with the idea of vibration issues so I am aiming at beefing up all the things I do so they last physically.

The "stop" I used was a harddrive mount piece. It has a short screw end that is perfect and then it also accepts a screw so it will be possible to add a cover that will shield the switch when the handle is relaxed. It's would be a protection for the armature and I'll give that some thought.

Oh I used taps to thread the holes and to get solid grips on small things like short screws I recommend using taps too. A tap is a drill bit like thing that cuts threads into metal for screws and bolts. We must drill a hole with a drill bit a size smaller and then we make threads and cut it to an exact size of the screw.
I have the armature pressed solidly against the stop and i picked the roller style because I liked that style but the simpler paddle style may offer more utility over time. We shall see.

It is wise to check that things work before we make the effort to install and I test after the major things like threading screws through the plastic case and soldering.
A multimeter is a tool I keep in my toolbox. I am using the OHMS setting to test continuity and non-continuity of the switch. I propped the handle open with a drill bit to test that when the handle is pulled the circuit is closed ( electrons flow to the light ) and tested that when the handle is relaxed that the circuit is open ( electrons are stopped from flowing ).
It's wise to check each step so we can prove the functioning of things as we go.
The switch has three "pins" one is the common (common to both the other two pins) and of the other two one is closed when the switched is pressed and open when it's not and the other is open when the switched is pressed and closed when it is not. These two are called Normally Open and Normally Closed respectively. That refers to electron flow or not.

Okay so this is not complete yet but it's a big part of the system.
For those doing this we want to have screws and parts that do not stick down into the brake handle area. We only want to use the shell so it's important to look at the total thickness of switch and the brake pulley shell.
I'll wire in the batteries when the case gets here and I believe I have a major supply of used camera batteries to go through. I saved them for remote control units and now I have another use. This is a simple LED circuit so it will make use of batteries the camera is finished with.

So ahead! Power and final assembly of the switch unit with heat shrink and silicone.

Last edited:

Ernst

May 28, 2011
Turlock Ca
I am evaluating my actions today but the general idea is to make the switch water resistant.

I don't know if I will keep the screws and the current heat shrink but this is what I did.

It does add a bit of mystery to what is in there albeit a single audio cable.

I did skip the silicone at this time.. That may change.

Well.. That will do for now.

I await the battery box..

Last edited:

Ernst

May 28, 2011
Turlock Ca
As was mentioned the Maxxon people responded to my email promptly.
I have replied as of today and suggested that a remote activation plug on the unit will allow people to chose what style of function the Maxxon will follow. I sent a link to this thread to the Maxxon people.

In my opinion there seems to be a cultural difference in perceptions of the flow of traffic. I assume, from watching the videos about the Maxxon unit, that traffic the maxxon is designed for is a bit less structured than American roads.
In the USA we tend to have painted roadways and we follow rules of stopping and turning. So, signalling clearly that a MaB is turning or stopping can mean the difference between a safe ride or an accident.
The ideal I am aiming at for my MaB is excellent lighting so that I can ride at night in traffic and interact with the flow.
Having the Maxxon light up bright and the unit is a bright light @3V when braking is the best (compact) light I have seen.
The LEDs and the lens do a great job of being brighter than the running light of the turn signal unit so at night traffic behind the bike can clearly see the difference between a steady red from the turn signal unit and the Maxxon.

I am still waiting for the battery holder but once that is here and installed I will shoot some pictures and a video.

I welcome the Maxxon people to provide input.

Ernst

May 28, 2011
Turlock Ca
Update: The Maxxon people are responsive! I have had several pleasant emails at this time.

I have suggested a plug option to bypass the G-Force electronics for those who wish to utilize the bright brake light only.

I feel there is a cultural difference as to the design and application so I trust these emails will assist us all.

Now that the new motor is on and running I will turn my attention to making a video about this Maxxon unit and the other turn signals.

If you are handy with solder and wires you can use the Maxxon for a simple on/off brake light. If the Maxxon people wish they can offer a "dumb unit" that doesn't have the G-force electronics for us Motor Bicyclists who ride in multi-lane traffic at night.
My concern is that when I must cross two or more lanes that I will not be seen or respected.
I think I am on the way to feeling comfortable in signalling that I am braking as well as turning.

The Battery case came from China today and it was better quality than I expected. Wow what a nice day this turned out to be bicycle wise.
Two AA's work fine. I did get feedback from the Maxxon people on the current issues.. 6 volts is out so stick with three volts ( two AA batteries in series ).

I will shoot a video and take pictures to show why I like the Maxxon even though I scrapped the electronics.

But now, I have the first ride on the new motor to do.

Excellent day.

Ernst

May 28, 2011
Turlock Ca
Hey, I have completed the brake light. The battery case arrived and was better quality than I expected. It included not only a tight and sharp looking case it has an on/off switch too.

I like that ebay purchase :)

What is needed is a photo review and video of this light in action.

It can be clearly seen at noon daylight.

I will endeavour to fulfil my goals.