Need help with front MTB suspension forks

GoldenMotor.com

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
Thank you!

Everywhere I've seen notes that front suspension on a MAB is a very valuable improvement.

I've got a flock of suspension forks salvaged off mountain bikes of various cheapo flavors. Not a single one of them would probably be called 'good ones'.

Maybe the best of them are Specialized Rock Shox.

They do little, if anything.

My question...

Can these front forks be rebuilt/modded into something that actually works for MAB application?

Has anyone actually taken these things apart and made improvements to them?

I'm aware nice forks can be purchased for big bucks...
NOT gonna happen. Don't have the cash.

I need advice from someone who has done it, or direction to specific links that have the hands-on information.

I did look here, through the suspension section of the forum and can find nothing on the subject.

Thanks again!
rc

ocscully

Jan 6, 2008
Orange County, CA
Lots of videos on Mountain Bike Suspension Maint. over on YouTube. I ride a Schwinn Skyliner that has a very cheap suspension fork and in my opinion it works much better than the old style cruiser springers that a lot of folks use. There really isn't a whole lot you can do to one of these cheap forks other than to be sure that the sliding surfaces are clean and well lubricated.

ocscully

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
Thank you Scully,
I'll go back and look under that heading.
...I have a Monarch springer here, and will run it on something, just for the look.
I'd be happier for daily use with a mountain bike front end, though, I think.
...All I do know is they are not worth a hoot on a Vtwin, at any speed, even when some fellows said they had their friction dampening dialed it very well.
Only reason I'm not going with rear suspension is because it's too complicated for me, right now. I have no plans to exceed 25 or 30mph, but would still like to have a bit of an edge against drainage ruts and such.
Best
rc