Denver, COSpgs,... Riders,get out of the heat in the mountains

GoldenMotor.com

Skyliner70

May 25, 2011
Colorado
Here is a couple of rides I've done:

-->Mount Herman Road up to Rampart Range road then take down to Woodland park then either follow 24 down hill to garden of the gods to santa fe trail back north to Monument

--->Mountan Herman Road up to Ranpart Range road then down to Woodland park then follow 77 to Sedlia and take 105 back to Monument.

Issue: Rampart Range is patrolled by forestry service and in Douglas County by sheriff. Lots of signs about "no off road unlicensed vehicles on Rampart Range Road". I've been very lucky and avoided the law but expect to get in trouble one day for not having a spark arrestor exhaust, no OHV tag, and unlicensed on licensed MV road.

I don't recommend taking Rampart Range road from Garden of Gods any distance..it is very busy with vehicles on weekends and more likely to run into the lawman

--> I haven't done this one yet and was supposed to last weekend but I had to have unscheduled surgery which ruled it out. Old Stage Road to Gold Camp road to cripple creek or take side trails that go up some of mountains in the areas.

--> another good ride could be front range trail in southern Colorado Springs up to AFA up to Monument then Mount Herman area circle back after hitting rampart range road taking single track back down to santa fe/front range trail.

If you do decide on riding any of these, nothing smaller than a 44 tooth and I strongly recommend a 48 tooth for single speed bikes-I have about half dozen of 48 tooth sprockets that I will give away for FREE to anyone in Denver/Springs area who wants one for the ride. If you use a tuned pipe like a SBP one, an extra 1.5-2 inches in header length will help with the low end torque assuming you are already tuned for higher engine rpms. I carry 3 lengths of copper 3/4 inch pipe to tweak my pipe for low, mid, and high end rpms. I'm usually tuned for low speed torque 99%of the time.

Extra fuel is a must. My Skyliner now has a rack mounted fuel tank in addition to the regular fuel tank up front and my Searcher has a rear rack with a bag that I store 1/2 gallon of premixed fuel in it along with tools for long rides.

Last edited:

streetstrip80

Oct 12, 2008
Littleton, CO
I don't think the law would be a problem, because these are not OHVs, they are legal on road vehicles. I had not thought about gearing, but plenty of routs could be planned that would not require great hill climbing ability. I was thinking mostly Rampart road, with some other mild side roads. I think it would be good to plan something cruiser friendly that would not even require a mountain bike

Last edited:

Skyliner70

May 25, 2011
Colorado
I agree they are not OHV's but all it takes one a-hole sheriff or ranger who has his own interpretation of the law to ruin your day.

What route do you suggest? If you start at Garden of the Dogs you have a lot of hill climbing to do initially. Its 25 miles from there to Woodland Park. Maybe going the opposite way would be better.

What do you think about this ride http://www.coloradobicyclerides.com/rides/southDeckersRoad/southDeckersRoad.html

Last edited:

Skyliner70

May 25, 2011
Colorado
Ok, I'm off tomorrow (Sunday 6/12/11) to ride Stage Coach Road from Colorado Springs to Cripple Creek. Lunch and refueling at Cripple Creek with return route the same OR possibly riding to Woodland Park and catching Rampart Range road to Mount Herman Road, down Santa Fe trail back to Colorado Springs.

I've got one other person who will be joining me. If you wish to join us, meet us at 8:30 at North Cheyenne canyon parking load (just past Helen Hunt Falls) for departure time of 8:45 am

Gold Camp Road - From Colorado Springs to Victor and Cripple Creek, Colorado is a review of the ride. Have a great weekend, I know I will.

PS If you do decide to join us, please use at least a 44 tooth sprocket on your bike. Anything smaller and you may be doing a lot of pedalling ;-)

Skyliner70

May 25, 2011
Colorado
It was a blast. My bike ran awesome but as we kept climbing in altitude, the mixture became richer and running full throttle in 2nd gear was rqeuired just to stay at 15mph. Thank God for for shift kits and a 34 tooth first gear.

I thought riding the bike that far was crazy. Check out what these fools did Glass Half Full: Cripple Creek "Celebration" Yes, they ran the entire 36 miles!