Possible Dynamo and Battery Set-Up

GoldenMotor.com

ellsworth

May 19, 2011
Baltimore
Wondering if anyone has gone down this road. I'm exploring possible lighting ideas and this being one of them:

12v dynamo running to a regulator and rectifier (found a part online from another forum thread, it includes both in one for 12v batteries) and a 12v lead acid rechargeable battery.

My knowledge is limited but in theory the dynamo would send power through the combo unit. The rectifier converting the AC current from the dynamo to DC current, thus charging the battery. Also the regulator would regulate the voltage and prevent overcharging the battery.

So I'd have a 12v battery for light that I wouldn't have to remove to charge.

Anyone use this method? Any significant flaws that I can't see due to my limited knowledge? Where does the wattage rating from the dynamo come into play?

Thanks in advance for any help.

camlifter

May 4, 2009
acme labs marion ohio
i did this with 6V on my silver bike. didn't use a regulator or anything. i had a S/A 6v hub, 6v lights and a 6v battery from a kids power wheels jeep. i just ran the power through a toggle switch so the battery could be disconected when the switch was off. worked good, kept the battery charged and the lights working. the 6v hub only puts out 3 watts so theres really no chance of over charging.