How to install the SBP High Performance Air filter?

GoldenMotor.com

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
The air filter is for the earlier NT carburetor. Your kit came with the later, CNS carb. Apparently the inlet size is different. I'd contact SBP. They are good folks and will either refund your money or provide you with the proper air filter.
Tom

earl.k

Jan 19, 2011
PA! USA
i got the SBP HD air filter and mine fits just fine. and i can use a NT filter on my new CNS. or the SBP filter on my NT?? pics:)

my new style CNS carb and stock filter.

my new style CNS carb with SBP HD air filter

and the the new style CNS with NT stock filter

earl.k

Jan 19, 2011
PA! USA
the sizing for the NT and the new style CNS are the same..
NT air intake.

new style CNS air intake

and the old style CNS have a clamp on filter. so unless it came with a clamp and not two bolts. it should fit id think? are the carbs for 49cc and 66cc the same??

earl.k

Jan 19, 2011
PA! USA
lol.. sorry to overload this thread with pics and posts. but i got thinking, did you remove the black spacer that holds the air cleaner in the stock filter?
this thing

you will need to remove this i think? i did and it fits right on there. and there is no need for it once you switch to the SBP filter. all it dose is stops the air filter pad in the old filter from being sucked into your carb.

takingadip

Mar 14, 2011
Minnesota
Thanks for all the replys. Thats to bad that the filter is only for the earlier carb. And ideas on where I could get one for the CNS carb? or just contact SBP and see if they will exchange it?

earl.k

Jan 19, 2011
PA! USA
sorry to tell you, but you have the CNS #1 as i call it. this filter is not made for this carb. you can get other clamp down air filters for your carb. but as far as i know, you wont be able to use that filter with your CNS v1 carb:(

there may be an adapter or something for this problem? but you have a bolt on filter and a carb built for the clap on ones with the rubber boot.

any other carb CNSv2 or the NT model will fit the SBP are filter.. sorry about your luck.:(

decoherence

Aug 23, 2010
sebring,fl
haha! i have the EXACT same problem.
at first i cut the top of a can to fit in the inset but the screw holes are so close to where the hole is it didn't work.

my other carb that was stock had a filter that was more of a truncated cone shape than the upgraded filter's cylinder shape.
so last night i separated the cone filter. & used my dremel to get out the resin the hold the mesh in. the large circle that latches to the carb fits into that second inset on the upgraded filter. abet with some bending to make the ridge more open.

though i might not even use this since i remounted up my engine so that my carb is more level & the carb doesn't want to fit. so i will try tractor supply & a car parts store to see if i can find a 90 degree bend so the filter will be sitting like an older car does. it will also help with rain landing directly onto the mesh when it rains. it will also help keep the intake out of the how air that is being blown off the engine. i do want to make a couple trips w/o any filter just to help me figure out my 4stroking @ high speed. then before the summertime rainy season in florida i will see about getting one of those louvred bell air covers the use on cars that have triple carbs.

keep us updated on what you do & results.

DaveC

Jul 14, 2010
Boise, ID
...i don't even know how this is working. The "vent" tube on the top is the fuel enrichenment port for adding fuel when you choke the motor with a CNS carb. The tube supplying fuel is at the bottom of the carb bowl. These two "vent tubes" are barbed so the hose won't come off. The two vent tubes that are side by side are vent tubes. It is a good idea to run tubes from them simply leading down so that dirt can't fall down them. These are called "down draft" tubes. They work just like the draft tubes used to work on cars before emission laws.

The CNS carb is almost identical to a Bing carb from the late '60s to early '70s that was on a Bultaco Combat Wombat I used to work on.

Please refer back to post#8 for photos. I had them "quoted" for illustration but I guess I'm not allowed to do that, yet.

Last edited: