HD wheels choices?!??!?!?

GoldenMotor.com

DoOgster

Jan 28, 2011
Flag
My brother has told me and I have read plenty of instances on this site that coaster brakes are iffy stoppers on their own and the rag joints are less than ideal. (which I can imagine, it seems they put a lot of stress on the spokes). the wheels I have on the bike now are pretty thrashed, so I might as well get new ones.

I live in a mountain town so stopping is important to me and I want something durable as well. I have been looking at a couple options and was hoping for some reviews and opinions.

Spooky tooth HD It has an alloy rim though, which is not exactly what I am after. Was hoping to do steel mainly for the looks and robustness.

Buy a husky or worksman wheel and this adapter here.

Adapter

The grubee wheel, which I can't seem to find for sale anywhere.

There is also this one I have seen on the forums

I am sure there are options I am missing as well. I am looking for something reliable and heavy duty with some sort of brake for less than $150 dollars that will also work with a 2 stroke motor. I also plan on getting a front wheel with a drum brake as well.

Thanks in advance for any information.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Purty cool. I have been looking for a HD rear with freewheel, 7spd cluster. Can't find it but good to know Grube is producing em

matthurd

Dec 13, 2010
manchester NH
get the worksman wheel with the rear coaster and drum break on the front. worksman wheels are incredible, 11 gauge steel whereas most others are using 12 gauge or lower. and the rims themselves are so incredibly beefy. they're great.

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
i agree, buy the worksman wheels. you won't regret it, and they'll probably be the last wheels you ever need (for that bike, anyway.:))

the coaster brake worksman uses is a shimano, and the front drums are made in France, by Grimeca, i think, and they have excellent stopping power.

DoOgster

Jan 28, 2011
Flag
After these suggestion and further reading I do believe the workman wheels are what I want. Is the manic mechanic hub adapter worth the $60? Or should I just roll with the rag joint?

Also Pirate cycles is out of stock on the front wheel with drum break. I can't, for the life of me, find another source for that wheel. I wouldn't mind finding a distributer on the west coast to save a bit on shipping.

Thanks again for any info.

matthurd

Dec 13, 2010
manchester NH
you can order wheels directly from worksmancycles.com and DO NOT use a rag joint on the worksman wheels, i'm having a nightmare with it. i had to buy longer bolts because kit bolts are to short for spokes this wide, that was an extra $9 alone, not counting the time i wasted, and time is money. spring for the adapter at least, i'm not sure if we need the sprocket with it, but i'm looking into if i could use my kit sprocket with the adapter, that would save me $15 upfront and maybe more down the road since my kit has a steel sprocket and aluminum ones apparently wear out pretty fast, which is what manic mechanic makes his sprockets out of from what i understand.

Last edited:

DoOgster

Jan 28, 2011
Flag
Thanks for the heads up Matthurd. I wouldn't think the aluminum sprockets would be bad unless there are being made out of a crappy grade of aluminum. I beat up on my al bmx sprocket without any problems. I would save the kit sprocket just in case I suppose.

I guess my game plan is worksman rear wheel with the adapter and sprocket. Use just the coaster brake while I build and tune my bike then save up a bit for that front wheel with the drum break.

Looks like my 'cheap' build is adding up! HA. I'd rather do it right the first time rather than spend money multiple times on bad parts.

Last edited:

matthurd

Dec 13, 2010
manchester NH
these are chains spinning hundreds of times every minute, it started rubbing right through my worksman heavy duty steel frame in just a 4 mile ride, not exactly the same application as foot pedaling, chain rub on the frame from foot pedaling would have been no big deal. on the motor driven side it had me concerned very fast.

if it can chew up steel i don't think aluminum will fare much better.

and i feel ya on not being cheap, but safety comes with quality, and so does longevity.

DoOgster

Jan 28, 2011
Flag
I saw your other thread with the rubbing issues. The outside of the chain rubbing on the frame is a lot different than the bushings inside the chain contacting the sprocket. From damage would occur from that no motor the power source. Maybe the motor and pedaling do create different forces on the sprocket, but I know that I apply a lot of torque on my bmx bike when I do tire stalls and spin from fakie. I will save the steel sprocket just in case though.

I am going to call worksman in just a minute and order the back wheel.

DoOgster

Jan 28, 2011
Flag
Got the adapter in. That is a serious piece of metal. Looks super stout. Can't wait to get the wheel to finish it up.