I know this isint an electronics forum but.....

GoldenMotor.com

Prasinos

Dec 1, 2008
California
I was just wondering if anyone knows how i could make a wireless switch. Just anything i could make or convert that would allow me to open or close a circuit with a remote controller. Thanks fellas.

civlized

Apr 28, 2009
Alabama
What are you wanting to use it for? There are some options out there but it would help to have a little more info.

Kevlarr

Jul 22, 2009
Mi
You left a lot of things open, what are you trying to switch and what voltages are we talking here?

Just off the top of my head you can get a wireless lamp controller that turns any light off and on with a key fob transmitter.

Prasinos

Dec 1, 2008
California
Well i suppose ideally it would just operate a mechanical switch so the voltages and currents wouldn't matter. I was just thinking of a cheap way to make a remote controlled solenoid i suppose. I was thinking for anything from warming up an engine for cold days or locking a bike without using a key. I'm more curious than anything, so id like to know how i could make this circuit myself ideally but retrofitting something else would be ok as well.

TheE

Jun 26, 2009
Canada
My favorite method is to use an old cordless phone. Wire up the speaker output in the receiver to an amp and a relay (a monostable-configured 555 timer is best), then use the "find handset" button on the base to trigger your switch!

Cordless phones run on DC so making the base portable is no biggie. It takes a bit more electronics hacking, but hey, it's made of scrap.

Here's a simple set-up that uses an op-amp:

http://www.angelfire.com/80s/sixmhz/rcphone.html

Last edited:

Prasinos

Dec 1, 2008
California
Hey i just wanted to verify, those wireless remote boxes look like they are supposed to handle 10 amps when their relays are in a closed position?