iron-on patch on a gas tank

GoldenMotor.com

ferball

Apr 8, 2010
NH
Go to your local craft store, they will have some crazy fabric adhesives. Many require heat application, but they should work. Crazy glue or another such adhesive should work as well.

FreeWheeler

Jun 22, 2010
Maryland
Most glues will make some kind of physical bond, so whatever it is will need nubs to grab. Gorilla glue is that type. If the tank is smooth finish, it will peel right off. I've made molds before and they work because the surface is smooth, part comes right out. I've even used Gorilla glue in molds, which works great because it doesnt stick. Rough surface, glue sticks.

FreeWheeler

Jun 22, 2010
Maryland
You got me real interested in how this works out. What's the business side of the patch look like? Does it have a plasticized finish? Smooth bad, rough good. Have you tried seeing if the patch lies flat on the tank the way you want it? Those tanks have alot of curves in many directions/compound and patches can be real stiff.

beentryin

Apr 24, 2010
goshen,ohio
yea i tryed to see how it layed at the bottom of the tank is a small bubble like but i think itll come out with good glue,and yes the back of the patch is smooth frome fabric glue,but im going to use a iron and plastic to get the hot glue off first.and i was going to outline the patch on the tank,and scuff only whats in the outline

Last edited:

AslansMonkey

Oct 2, 2008
Personally I'd scan it and print it on ink jet decal paper. Then paint a white outline on the tank and apply the decal over it. Clear coat the result and you're good to go. The patch would likely not weather as nicely.

kipharley

Jul 9, 2009
Sanford,Maine
Whatever you try!Try it on something other than your tank first! If you don't you might be re-painting your tank after you scrape off a nasty looking scab where your patch used to be.Keep us posted!Kip.

beentryin

Apr 24, 2010
goshen,ohio
Whatever you try!Try it on something other than your tank first! If you don't you might be re-painting your tank after you scrape off a nasty looking scab where your patch used to be.Keep us posted!Kip.
personally i hate this tank it wouldnt hurt my feelings if it got ruined.it would force to me get another,i think the raised fabric of the patch would be nicer than this plain ole peanut tank.ill try to glue and shelac ill see what happens worse case ill get a better tank out of the deal

killercanuck

Dec 17, 2009
Wallaceburg ON
well it would take long because of the chemical meant to be iron'd onto cotton, eh? What if you boil it for a couple of hours to take out the fabric steam adhesive? Then slap it on and glue/clear over that? ...Just a thought, but your wife might give you shice for the smell in the house, heh heh. Have a barbecue handy? lol

corgi1

Aug 13, 2009
KCMO
There is also the vinal sign companies that make the big sticker signs that cover sides of busses and trucks,the price is a little steep I think but then they are almost perminent and they copy what ever you want and if wanted they apply it