Question about Super Fat 24x4 wheel

GoldenMotor.com

LAboy

Nov 28, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
I'm starting new project and want to use 24x4 rear wheel. Just got this asome wheel today!
It's Choppers U.S. 24" x 4.0" with coaster brake. Diameter of the hub same as CB-110 Hub.
I had Manic Mechanic Sprocket Adapter for CB-110 Hub. Tried to fit it, no luck...(see pictures)
What you guys use on this kind of wheels? Thanks,
Roman.

Attachments

turkman

Nov 12, 2009
burbank,ca
maybe talk to troy at Pirate about the adapter for the worksmen clencher rims ,they have a wider setting good luck,"hey I saw you at burbank an buenavista a week or so ago,might you you be up fpr a ride? later bob

Crazy Horse

Dealer
Feb 20, 2009
USA
On my OCC Choppers & XL-Chopper builds the lacing is 3 cross see my post about Dual Drive on OCC & XL Choppers!

Don't know if this will help you with an answer or just add to your frustrations.

Here's the Link:
http://motorbicycling.com/f40/dual-drive-freewheel-occ-xl-choppers-19143.html

When I re-laced both the OCC & XL Chopper rear wheels they were 3 cross lacing.

Peace Crazy Horse.

My lacing's were over, over, then under on the fourth & last set of spokes hope I haven't confused you to much.

Crazy Horse

Dealer
Feb 20, 2009
USA
LABoy, you can expect to pay $35 - $60 for having your wheel re-laced at the LBS.

When I said that my wheels are 3 cross lacing if you look at my pic's you'll see the last set of spokes also sometimes referred to as 4th set or outbound spokes, they cross over 2 spokes and the go under 3rd spoke, which makes them a 3 cross lace.

I'm having a difficult time see your hub & spokes clearly, who told you that your wheel is 4 cross laced, just curious. Maybe you can take another couple of pic's showing the whole wheel & post those new pic's and I'll be able to definitely determine wheel lacing your wheel is.

Peace Crazy Horse.

PS LABoy, your wheel upon closer review appears to definitely be a 4-cross, if you look at the outbound spokes they cross 3-spokes, and then go's under the 4th spoke.

Last edited:

Kevlarr

Jul 22, 2009
Mi
It looks like if you tightened the adapter it would line up. You may have to shave a little off the bottom of each lug to clear the spokes near the hub. I had to do that with my adapter because my wheel has 12g spokes. A little careful work with a file and you should be all set.

Sep 20, 2008
Clearwater, FL
web.tampabay.rr.com
LA,

As DV mentioned...one option is to get one of our CB-110, (bore size), adapters that has the same island bolt circle as the Occ. The bolt circle for the Occ style adapter is 3-5/8". The standard adapters are 3-1/8". I am working on a batch of the Occ CB's for Pirate Cycles now.

Originally I had to make the bolt circle larger for the Occ because the flange that the spokes attach to is larger in diameter. This bolt circle is also good for wheels with heavy gauge spokes.

I you look at it as though the spokes weren't there, you can see that the adapter you have would work fine...in other words the islands would pass by the flange with no problem.

The problem is the spokes.

CH is right...if you re-lace your wheel to a 3-cross pattern, the problem will be solved. If you can do it yourself; it will be the least expensive, fastest way to get going. The 4-cross pattern requires longer spokes, so the originals will have to be cut and re-threaded, or you will have to determine the length and try to find the correct length spokes.

As Kevlarr mentioned: If the amount of interference was slight, you could get away with filing a little bit of metal off of the islands. This would be true for the CB-110 with 12Ga. spokes. Looking at yours, I think you would have to take too much off which will ultimately render the adapter useless. The islands are tapered, and must remain tapered for strength.

Jim

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
I have a few of those new hub adapters that Jim made special for me several months ago...
Bring your wheel to me & we'll see if it fits your wheel.

Last edited: