Ideal bikes to mount my engine???

GoldenMotor.com

DanielHieb

May 29, 2008
Hello, i am new to the community, my name is Daniel. nice to meet you. anyhow, i have had a 80cc engine kit from "kings motor bikes" before. i drilled the holes wrong in the frame, mostly because i didn't research enough. anyhow the bike lasted almost 3 months ( i got lucky) until the back axle bent and pulled the engine from the frame bars, simultaneously as i tryed to compress start it one day. anyhow, i'm starting from scratch again and the huffy model with the awkward shaped bottom bar didn't quite work so i am wondering what kind of bike models would be ideal. i am looking toward the KULANA "Moon Dog" model because it's only $149 new, but i'm not too sure if it's best. my other question is, what do you all prefer: Dax, Kings, Or boy go fast engines. Boy go fast is cheaper, and i need a less than 50cc because i live in oregon (moped laws) and also wish to get the better deal for the buck. i'm new to this hobby so any suggestion i would encourage. Thanks a bunch, Dan.

Last edited:

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
The bikes that are the easiest to mount a bicycle motor kit on are the old ones with 1"-1 1/2" tubing.
There are a few Moon Dogs and Jaguars here on the forum, both good bikes.

I prefer thatsdax.com for my engine kits.

351cat

Jun 17, 2008
Missouri, USA
Here's another vote for the moon dog. :) I just bolted mine up. Only thing that didnt fit right out of the box was the fuel tank, everything else bolted right up. I didnt use a chain tensioner on mine and i'm not having any problems w/ it yet. I bought the bike tuesday, put the motor on it tuesday night, rode it to work wednesday afternoon. Awesome.

jasonh

Jun 23, 2008
Longmont, CO
most mountain bikes without a rear suspension would probably work. But, I personally find mountain bikes a little uncomfortable after riding for a while (unfortunately that's all I have right now, and un-motorized to boot)

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Any old school diamond type frame like a hard tail mtb will work really well with no mods. You can always ditch the tires and get some Bell 1.90's at Walmart.

Most old school cruiser type frames with 1 1/2" tubing will work too.

motorbiker

Mar 22, 2008
Tampa Bay Florida
Yes but it says "Not sold Online" and "In limited stores".

So I guess if I do not see it in the store, im beat.

Any other good bikes, maybe a mountain bike, that a 70cc engine should mount to with ease?

They must be a hot item because they have alot of them at the stores.

I am just a few miles from 5 Wal Mart stores and they all have several of them. Look for one with straight wheels.

Everyone I bought needed the wheels adjusted to be straight.

Moon dog is a sweet ride well worth getting setup right ! :)

The rear wheel can adjust a little forwards or back so I did not need a chain tensioner. I could remove links then adjust it tight. Matt's Schwinn rear wheel would not adjust this way. It would only move up or down. Chain tensioner, what a pain !

Last edited:

jasonh

Jun 23, 2008
Longmont, CO
For what it's worth, I can't seem to find the MoonDog on the Walmart website any more. I wonder if they've been discontinued...

DoLLeRMaN

Jun 15, 2008
Good News After searching at several Wal-Marts I finally found one with a Moon Dog!!! Only 1 problem, they only had the display model and it was beat to ****. I tried talking the manager down but he would only drop it $10 bucks.....sigh.... I did not buy it, it was too beat up. I did order a bike to the store and they said they will call me when it arrives......I will not hold my breath but its a start.

This really stinks because my engine has been here just sitting and waiting to be installed.

Thanks to everyone for trying to help, I really appreciate it and I am really digging this site!

To Jasonh: It is not on their site anymore they only have it in certain stores. Go to any within reason or give them a call. If it helps the model number is R4677WMA and the Wal-Mart number is 000727424. You may even be able to talk a manager into shipping one in for you. Hope this helps.

Joshua

Jun 8, 2008
usa
the cheap roadmaster mountain bike from wal-mart is not a good choice, the opening in the frame is to small for a good mount. also the bike is junk. just my experience.

351cat

Jun 17, 2008
Missouri, USA
the cheap roadmaster mountain bike from wal-mart is not a good choice, the opening in the frame is to small for a good mount. also the bike is junk. just my experience.
My experience too... Tried that one, then the mongoose paver. The mongoose was a more solid bike, but the opening was even smaller, finally settled on the Moon Dog, and the orange is growing on me now. :)

motorbiker

Mar 22, 2008
Tampa Bay Florida
I went shopping for a Moondog last night. I found one and bought it. Not 2 weeks ago there were several at the Brandon store. Now they have a yellow Schwinn with a springer fork. It does not look like a motor will fit in the middle.

It looks like the Moondog is gone. :( None of the cruisers at WalMart had linear pull brakes like the Moondog. That was a big selling point for me.

I want my motorized bike to be able to stop fast and the Moondogs stop on a dime.

And the seven knarly speeds. And the color and the way cool frame design that would fit any motor you want !

I bought the last one they had. I am going to leave all the stickers and tags on it and keep it just like the day I drove it out the door at WalMart.

I gotta go.

Motorbiker is about to cry. :(

(c)

Last edited:

Scooter Trash

Jul 6, 2008
Hello, i am new to the community, my name is Daniel. nice to meet you. anyhow, i have had a 80cc engine kit from "kings motor bikes" before. i drilled the holes wrong in the frame, mostly because i didn't research enough. anyhow the bike lasted almost 3 months ( i got lucky) until the back axle bent and pulled the engine from the frame bars, simultaneously as i tryed to compress start it one day. anyhow, i'm starting from scratch again and the huffy model with the awkward shaped bottom bar didn't quite work so i am wondering what kind of bike models would be ideal. i am looking toward the KULANA "Moon Dog" model because it's only $149 new, but i'm not too sure if it's best. my other question is, what do you all prefer: Dax, Kings, Or boy go fast engines. Boy go fast is cheaper, and i need a less than 50cc because i live in oregon (moped laws) and also wish to get the better deal for the buck. i'm new to this hobby so any suggestion i would encourage. Thanks a bunch, Dan.
Hey...I'm new here to the community. A guy has one of these for sale in my area in FL, saw it on CraigsList, and became interested. In shoppiing the net I see a seller has the Moon Dog bikes on eBay for $94.00 with Free Shipping, Sounds like a good deal. Think I'll build one but not sure what engine is best. Any Suggestions ?? Of course I want to Go Fast!

Tj Bunch

Jun 18, 2008
Check out Dax He's a sponser here i Think $239.00+ shipping and he'll stand behind what he sells. some of us live and learn, Not that thats bad it's just a learning curve.

Have fun get what you want and make sur you can get back up parts later.

just my .02