Self powered light kits? Disc brakes on cruiser?

GoldenMotor.com

JohnLL

Dec 24, 2009
St Pete - Florida
Ok. I've just got my engine kit. I'm (planning) to put it on a Jaguar cruiser. The one from Target. The problem I have with this is that it has regular breaks, I'd prefer a hub break, until I can find hubs to mount disc breaks on...two questions.

Is there any other model from Target, Wal Mart, K Mart...any other regular store? That I can get a similiar cruiser with a hub break on the rear and either single speed or 1-5 speed on the back?

And on lighting. I'm looking for a self powered headlight thats powerful enough that I won't outride it at 15-25 mph. Or some suggestions of how to do it custom. My father is excited about this project. I'm 24, but not very technical with this kinda stuff. I'm a computer guy not a mechanic.

Any suggestions, links, pictures are always welcome! For cruiser bike and / or a kit or system to power a headlight and blinkers on my bike.

Thanks!
JohnLL

Cannonfish

Apr 10, 2009
Maryland
John, I was able to get a really good deal on a front disc wheel from my local bike shop (around $60), and some reasonably-priced Avid BB5 disc brakes as well. That'd probably be your best best, seeing as shipping and handling will add a lot to the cost from any online sites...

Just checking, your cruiser already has disc mounts on it, right? Otherwise you'll have to weld them on or use something like this: Disc Brake Bracket Billet - Choppers U.S., LLC

I've never tried to run a light off the engine wire, but there is a wide variety of very intense battery-powered lights available for bicycles if you Google search them.