500 watt scooter cool

GoldenMotor.com

AnthonyX99

Oct 13, 2009
Winnipeg
hey guys I found a used 500 watt kaishan scooter for 300$ obo the guy just bought a new charger and new battery's a secondary I could get a new one for 599 gio scooters but they don't have a odometer or a speedometer and have less miliege.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
I never owned a scooter just pieces of one. Sorry I can't help you with it. I can tell you that 500 watts is about minimum for a decent bike made from a scooter. Even then i have to pedal up hills but not hard.

AnthonyX99

Oct 13, 2009
Winnipeg
Ya it's not as powerful but their are advantages of having one, cops don't stop you, they have built in signals and are quite comfy. I've heard of ways removing the limiter and getting more speed something about a Grey wire connecting to the battery.

AnthonyX99

Oct 13, 2009
Winnipeg
I forgot to mention I'm planning on using an e-scooter for a good reason our winter's are really bad and cold my HT engine starts if I close the choke all the way but I dunno what kind of damage could happen because it hits -50 here in Winnipeg meaning I'm starting the engine cold which could shatter something.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
I have no idea what happens to them but I think you probably have a valid concern. Electric blanket comes to mind.

If the scooter doesn't do what you want, think about using it as a motor on the back wheel of a bike. That way you can pedal it for some extra torque on the hills. Thats all my Rhino drives really is.

You can pick up a large motor for around fifty bucks on ebay and a rear wheel assembly(wheel tire, motor mount, and sprocket) for thirty maybe. You would need the controller and maybe a piece of #25 chain. All in all it would run maybe a hundred and fifty dollars tops. slap that on top of a mountain bike and you have a good little short range ebike. The range should be about the same as the scooter plus you can help it by pedaling when you start and climb hills. It's a good alternative.

Last edited:

AnthonyX99

Oct 13, 2009
Winnipeg
Yea I heard about 500 watt scooters having trouble with high incline hill's but i wouldn't try it in the winter. Your suggestion about a rear mounted motor may work quite well for traction because all the weight is on the back of the bike thanks for the info.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
around here I put on side braces just to keep it straight the weight of the motor and wheel are enough for tension. I dont have any experience with ice or dead cold but I have ridden it on damp roads and was surprised how well it did.

AnthonyX99

Oct 13, 2009
Winnipeg
damp or wet roads would be fine I've used slicks in the rain with no problems till a pothole destroyed my rims these where low profile 1.25 tires never again did I use it.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
to be honest I buy all my bikes at the thrift shop. I have bunches of used tires laying around it most all sizes. With the scooter wheel as the driver, I can run knobbies as well as road slicks. I don't really find one any better than another.

After my ride on the wet road, I have decided that, the rubber on rubber, then the tire on the wet road isn't much different from a simple chain drive on a wet road. Sure there is some difference between a wet and dry road but that is also true with a chain drive. Your traction is bad either way. Probably worse with the Rhino drive but not impossible by any means. The climb to higher speeds is slower on wet days, but you are still pedaling to start and on the turns and steep hills so not much has changed.