hub motor to fit wide rim?

GoldenMotor.com

myocardia

Jul 29, 2009
near Dallas, TX
I'd take the motor to any starter/alternator shop. They can rebuild it for you, and it won't cost you much. I doubt it's your motor that's gone bad, though. It's much more likely to be your batteries, controller, or even throttle. What are the symptoms>

realdigga

Jul 12, 2009
Australia
the problem is the axle is 200mm wide.can you change the axle length in electric hubs?
myocardia i know nothing about them but its a brushed motor(which im told arent very good) and its got plastic cogs in the internal gearing that are completely worn.
toad, i gotta 2 stroke that goes super fast, i hit the road yesterday at 50km ... broken arm, dislocated shoulder, very bruised ego. i wanna get an electric to limit my speed as i seem to lack any form of self-control!!!!!(i lost my license for 3 years so biking is my only form of transport, or should i say was as im in plaster for 6-8 weeks!!!

myocardia

Jul 29, 2009
near Dallas, TX
Hmm, knowing all of that, your best bet would either be to buy a hub motor from ebay and pay someone at a bike shop to install it on your wheel (called lacing, as deacon points out), or just buying a new rear wheel with the motor already installed. Here's a 250 watt motor and rim for $250, including shipping. It's a front wheel motor, but that would probably be best in your case, anyway, because of the width of your rear wheel. This same company also sells 350 watt and 500 watt motors for the same price, if you decide you want more power. And if you decide you have to have a rear wheel motor, these people will lace their motors onto any wheel, for twice the price. Good luck, and let us know how it goes.

geeksquid

Feb 14, 2008
the problem is the axle is 200mm wide.can you change the axle length in electric hubs?
myocardia i know nothing about them but its a brushed motor(which im told arent very good) and its got plastic cogs in the internal gearing that are completely worn.
toad, i gotta 2 stroke that goes super fast, i hit the road yesterday at 50km ... broken arm, dislocated shoulder, very bruised ego. i wanna get an electric to limit my speed as i seem to lack any form of self-control!!!!!(i lost my license for 3 years so biking is my only form of transport, or should i say was as im in plaster for 6-8 weeks!!!
It sounds like the manufacturer went really cheap on the hub motor if it has plastic gears in it. If it wasn't a fat tire, you could replace the whole wheel with a readily available hub motor and wheel, available all over the place, but you'll just have to buy a hub and get it laced onto the fat wheel. Maybe all the hub motors have plastic gears in them, I don't know, but surely the Crystalyte motors are built better than that. The site you gave doesn't say what size wheels they are but it looks like 24". Since the front wheel/tire is probably standard size, you could just buy a hub motor/wheel combination already assembled and mount on the front and rewire it. Would be best to just fix the rear though.