spray can paint job.

GoldenMotor.com

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Yep it works really nicely that way...an added plus is to use a GOOD camel hair brush and brush only away from the new paint.

All the prep work is the same as for a rattlecan job.

massdrive

Oct 3, 2013
Las Vegas
well I am going to try to rub off some of the chrome rust since I have rain and cold days coming. If I cant ride I'll compound and polish chrome. By spring it should look like a real bike. Of course I might still be breaking it in. I have managed to ride about twenty miles so far and you of all people know when I started to ride it.
Try Permatex rust removal spay. I used it on an old motorcycle with lots of chrome that was rusted from top to bottom and end to end. It worked amazingly good. I brushed it on areas near painted surfaces. Mostly I applied the spay let it set as recommended and simply rinsed it of with a garden hose. I reapplied it on the tough spots and rubbed a little with a soft cloth and it looked like new again. It only took me about an hour. After removing the rust I applied chrome polish to protect the finish. I put over 50,000 miles on that bike before I sold it and it never rusted again...

massdrive

Oct 3, 2013
Las Vegas
If you have a automotive type buffing wheel you can shine it up in a fraction of the time. Just make sure you secure the bike in place as you will need to apply some pressure to work the paint around.

Intrepid Wheelwoman

Oct 29, 2011
Hauraki District, New Zealand
I brush painted my 1954 Morris Minor 'British Racing Green'. First I applied two coats of primer rubbing down with fine grade wet and dry paper used wet and after that four coats of the top colour again with rubbing down in between each coat. i used a inch wide soft camel hair brush and made sure the paint was properly stirred and thinned before applying it. It took me a while to do, but my old Morrie looked beautiful when she was done. People wouldn't believe me when I said I'd brush painted her
I also restored damaged paint on a royal blue 'Malvern Star' frame by sanding and hand painting the affected areas. I didn't know where to get new decals for the frame so by using this method I was able to work around them.
I'm not the world's best rattlecan spray painter anyway, and besides I find that with a brush it's possible to lay on a thicker layer of paint exactly where it's needed for better protection of the underlying metal surface.