Velocars and other interesting vehicles.

GoldenMotor.com

moto-klasika

Jan 12, 2013
Bern (more) and Belgrade (less)
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, sans-serif] Hallo,[/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, sans-serif]As people said, it is much nicer to have DIY 3-wheeler or 4-wheeler, that looks and rides as bicycle or moped! Such "scooters" are just a necessity, for some people that couldn't make or buy and couldn't ride our beloved velocars and similar low-flying UFOs!

I remember that grandfather of my first wife had old pre-War big and strong bicycle - used as Annie described. When I met him, he ride it very rare, but everywhere going - he pushed it beside him. When I ask why - he said that he like it very much, he was used on it - and it is practical: could put on it up to 50-80 kg heavy bags of corns or whatever... Beside, as he said: with bicycle, he looks more serious and determined person! That attitude was everywhere: in villages or small towns of flat-parts of old Yugoslavia. Every family had one old bicycle, used by all of them from small kids to grandparents. Kids ride them standing on pedals, one leg trough frame: bicycles were mostly of male type.

As my grandparents didn't live in such village and didn't have bicycle - I never had opportunity to learn to ride it, until I learnt to ride a moped!

[/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, sans-serif] Ciao, Zoran[/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, sans-serif]P.S.: Shown 3-wheelers are magnificent! Motorised are more practical, but vateran is full of wonderful details! Only - rear-wheel steering?
[/FONT]

Attachments

moto-klasika

Jan 12, 2013
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Hello there,[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Please take a look what are build in India: simple and cheap (around 400 $$$) QuadrOcycle![/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]No front brakes, no suspension, no Ackermann steering, no derailleurs, no differential...[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]I am not sure for weight, but it must be heavy with 2” x 2” /2 mm square tubes? No mention of wheelbase, but not too big, because people seat between rear wheels (too wide?). Pedals are behind front wheels...[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]He mentioned that it tested vehicle with 200 kg payload. Maybe, he could built it something lower.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Creator mentioned that he used ordinary bicycle 28” wheels. I couldn't be sure from photos, are his wheels something stronger then usual (as for rickshaws in India?)... [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]The wheels are obviously supported just from one side 8without a lot of information). Shouldn't be problem for rear wheels, it seems that they are bearing-less, fixed to the rear axle which is in ball-bearings? But, front wheels look as have bicycle axle welded on one side?[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Ciao,[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Zoran[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]http://www.instructables.com/id/Quadrocycle/
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]
[/FONT]

moto-klasika

Jan 12, 2013
------------------------------
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Curt,[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Wonderful web-site! A lot of happy searching is in front of me... I like old engines (gasoline or steam) and old machines that they propelled!
--- ---
That was great race indeed, in spite of small number of contenders. Pity that it was postponed until late Autumn, with early snow...
Some time ago, I red full original articles about race (preparation, details about owners and cars, entire race, atmosphere and background, and results...). There were list of detailed regulations, probably long a few printed pages!

Pity that Brothers Duryea didn't succeed as businessmen, as were good engineers and machinists! They were away in front of Henry Ford and many other...
[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Thank you,[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Zoran[/FONT]

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
Welcome you can sign up for the news letter.

Yep i like the Duryea car and thinking them wheels would not be hard to make with heavy spokes like wood spokes. Maybe found what i have been after for swap meet buggy...........Curt

moto-klasika

Jan 12, 2013
Welcome you can sign up for the news letter.

Yep i like the Duryea car and thinking them wheels would not be hard to make with heavy spokes like wood spokes. Maybe found what i have been after for swap meet buggy...........Curt
--------------------------------------
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Curt, thank you![/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]I noticed that there are payed membership, but didn't know that news-letter is free (I hope so)![/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]--- ---

Some of my American internet friends that built replica of veteran cars - used to make big so-called "artillery wheels" with wood spokes. Some ordered them from workshops that build carriages for Amish people. Wheels are expensive (a few hundred $$$ each), but good and strong, with axles, roller-bearings, disk-brakes and solid-rubber tyres...

Attached are photos of cannon replicas built by my friend Lyle (wheels built by himself) or of his big Holsman replica (wheels ordered and bought)...

Zoran
[/FONT]

Attachments

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
Yep Kool I also thinking of building my own useing steel tubing ,seen some done and like them ,time will tell.

I will do more re surch and then decide
Curt

moto-klasika

Jan 12, 2013
[FONT=Arial Unicode MS, sans-serif]... three wheels, wooden chassis and a steam engine![/FONT]
[FONT=Arial Unicode MS, sans-serif]Too much for me and probably for those tidy and serious Swiss people and authorities![/FONT]

[FONT=Arial Unicode MS, sans-serif]But, one of two vehicles shown on attached photos could be easily built by some members presented here (excluding me)! [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial Unicode MS, sans-serif]Ciao,
Zoran
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial Unicode MS, sans-serif]P.S.: I would choose the second, but where to find two women? ... and, what to do with them anyway![/FONT] (after rides)

Attachments

moto-klasika

Jan 12, 2013
I thought that was pretty darn cool too WB :)

Poirier invalid trike.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uzqk6AyWZW0
----------------------------------
Annie,
Take a look at this one, probably from the same category! Only, I doubt that my wife would be glad to seat back - bacuse of climbing in-out! Good be visibility form such high seat and strong control over my driving? Slaping in a case of too much noise for verbal commands!
Zoran
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QlGxvfyfLKo