Wheel problems V4

GoldenMotor.com

Cylon

Jun 26, 2015
Maine
Hey all so I've posted here 3-4 times regarding the problems I keep having with wheels. I'm on my 4th rear wheel and 2nd hub adapter. First 3 times with with my original 1' adapter it kept moving and snapping spokes. I filed it down to let there be a gap and it still ended up moving even after I got it very tight. I also measured the hubs with a caliper of the past 4 wheels and they have all been 1'.

So this last wheel I had I used a new adapter and a 40t sprocket rather then my old 41t. I filed this one down to so it was sung, I also used friction tape as a shim since the past 3 rims failed when it was just metal on metal with lots of force. I even used a 3 foot breaker bar on the adapter to tighten the bolt as tight as they could ever be.

I went for a ride tonight and it look like it slightly moved backwards and it pulled out 2 spokes. I don't understand what to do other then going back to a rag joint. I don't even know that heavy duty wheel with bigger spokes would hold up. I don't really want to use JB weld either.... I cant stress enough how tight I made that adapter! I went out and bought snap on Allen wrenches so I could get it super tight without stripping the cheap Allen wrenches. I cant be the only person with these bike with the problem happening over and over again.

Really looking for help.

ZipTie

Jan 8, 2016
Mpls Mn
-Hey Cylon, Those molded aluim wheels work well as they have sealed bearings and are super strong and true However... They are not cheap either. I am trying to use them now and bought a 6 hole 44 t sprocket that was supposed to fit that hub side and it does bolt on directly but not really well as the hole is too small in the center and leaves a gap that will shear the sprocket off in time...ughhhh. So now I have to machine out the center hole on the sprocket, so it fits over the raised ring on the hub side. But I am worried about chain alignment when I finish the build. The hub adapters are nice as you have a 1/2" fore and aft adjustment for perfect chain alignment. It never ends with wheels sometimes.
-Another option for HD wheels is to buy a Huffy Cranbrook for 88.00 bucks from wally world just to get the wheels as they have heavy duty 12g spokes and steel rims. They use a 1.5 hub so you would need a new hub adapter as they sell them separately. The 1.5" hubs give more surface area to grip the hub also. I've never had slippage or a broken spoke... ever on huffy wheels using a hub adapter.
-I am in the early stage of building a welded tank Board tracker now and I ordered a girls Huffy bike with the correct color wheels I needed once again. I just to take the good wheels off it. Then I sell the frame for 60.00 to a local guy and the HD wheel set costs me only 28.00 bucks! Way cheaper than buying just wheels, makes no sense. Me likes 12 gauge spokes!
-you could also fix the broken spokes and use coke can shims to get more grip and take a center punch and hammer in a ton of dimples in the hub adapter surface to rough up the surface a bit for better grip. Its also possible your hub adapter bolts are bottoming out and not tightening all the way. I remember I had this problem on a cheaper knock off adapter, remove a 1/8" off the two hub adapter bolts?

Last edited:

ZipTie

Jan 8, 2016
Mpls Mn
Here is the problem I am having with the aluim mag wheels. You can see the gap caused by the raised section on the mag wheels. The gap is supported by a thin raised ring.

Attachments

ZipTie

Jan 8, 2016
Mpls Mn
Oh, i forgot to add...friction tape or any tape has slimy goo adhesive that is sure to add more slippage into the factor.

Cylon

Jun 26, 2015
Maine
Zip you could always just use washers. Simple and quick. I cant wait to get these rims gonna be awhile tho because snow falls soon..