Octane Level

GoldenMotor.com

Nov 25, 2011
Kansas
I am about to break in my s6s and was wondering what octane fuel people are running? Planning on using Tanaka perfect mix at 30:1 unless someone tells me otherwise. Thanks guys!

Nov 25, 2011
Kansas
which jet will I probably need? haven't checked to see which one is in it yet. Its your pipe as you know. Will the Tanaka be fine or should I get Opti or what? Also do I need to do anything to the motor besides pull that little plastic plug from the crank case before starting it and breaking it in. I have broken in between 15 and 20 rc nitro engines so this isn't really a new thing for me. Just at a much larger scale :D

Easy Rider

Santa Cruz Scooter Works
Jan 15, 2008
Nor*Cal
I'm not sure what you mean by Opti and are you talking about using a Tanaka or Morini?
As for the Morini: All I did was pull the yellow crank case plug, started it up, adjust the idle and ran it. The motor needs a loty of run time to break in.

Easy Rider

Santa Cruz Scooter Works
Jan 15, 2008
Nor*Cal
Sorry for the misunderstanding. I were you, after your finished with the Tanaka oil I would go to your motorcycle shop after that and start using a good synthetic based oil like Golden Spectrum or other good synthetic oils. From my experience, stay away from Red Line oil because I've seized a few motors with Red Line. That Tanaka oil looks like a petroleum based oil which is great for break ins.

Nov 25, 2011
Kansas
posted these pics in "what did you do to your bike today" but figured I would post here as well. I am waiting on the rest of my parts from Dean but this is how far I am with the bike. Also what are the factory settings on the carb? What jet should I start with? I am not sure which is in the carb already. With the boxer expansion chamber and a pod style filter not sure where I should start.

Easy Rider

Santa Cruz Scooter Works
Jan 15, 2008
Nor*Cal
The bike looks good so far. Nice idea to paint the pipe white to match the forks!
Just start off this the stock jets then go from there.

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
Very cool gonna be a great bike! I remember Kansas as being miles and miles of flat land?

Yeah I am guessing your prolly close to sea level anyway...... plus the oil ratio you are implying you are running 30 to one. Just put your mix in and run it. Then go to a good ''Synthetic''. Go from there. I will personally never run any of my Morini's at 100 to one..That's just me tho. Folks swear by Opti with there lower revving China's call me scared what ever. I am defiantly too scardy cat to do it.

Besides my Ju Ju is working perfect for me. I have had great luck with Amsoil Dominator @ 42 to 50 to one with no smoke signals save a very brief amount at warm up from cold after the choke was on. After that I got notta. .

Lately in the dead of winter here I have been running @ 50 to one in 8 degree weather. In summer 42. With a bigger 21mm PHBG carby Its just my personal JuJu. I run 91 octane as well..

Specs from M. USA.. Morini Franco USA

Morini Franco USA

All commercial motorcycles in general come tuned from the factory for sea level as carbs go so I have been consistently told.

Running at the likes of 100 to one makes for a thinner viscosity at the jetting for fuel to go through. Making a rich fuel air condition. Running the opposite like 20 to one will make the carb fuel air ratio leaner. Too lean in my opinion. There would be less fuel getting through the carb as it is thicker in its viscosity to go through the same jet... Unless of course jetting was changed to reflect such.

I am not so sure I would go and wish on ''any'' newbe to get into jetting on one of these PHBG carbs. lol.

Reading Manufacturer specs this motor is said/recommended to be run at 50 to one. Folks in the motocross world have run around prolly as low as 35 to one or so on these Morini's ? Just my round about fair educated guess.

Oil has come a long ways through the years.

Do a plug chop after a while to be on a clear piece of mind. Don't over think it keep it simple! The KISS principle!

Have fun and ride that bad Motor Shooter!!:)dnut

Last edited:

Easy Rider

Santa Cruz Scooter Works
Jan 15, 2008
Nor*Cal
. I will personally never run any of my Morini's at 100 to one..That's just me tho. Folks swear by Opti with there lower revving China's call me scared what ever. I am defiantly too scardy cat to do it.
I agree with you 100%. I've paid too much $ to risk trying 100:1 oil ratio.