modified cdi and cr 80 coil

GoldenMotor.com

the42ndoffense

Jun 17, 2010
Space
Received mine from jnmotorsbikes.com two days ago, noticeable increase in performance, still working with the selectable timing curves to find what works best. So far not sure its worth the $80 price tag. does fire very smoothly through rpm range. some increase in top speed overall however I had to go back to the stock exhaust because the internal parts in the expansion pipe that came with the chrome night kit broke(they advertised one, and sent me another, cheaper one). plug cable is not the one photographed either.

WTB:Expansion chamber

.duh..bf.

the42ndoffense

Jun 17, 2010
Space
Using ManicMechanic high compression head (amazing).

not quite sure what plug cable, its not the red MSD cable pictured, but a black cable with a large metal boot. i'll post photos and some information on the settings im using when im done testing.

decoherence

Aug 23, 2010
sebring,fl
when i checked a few months ago they had them in stock.
the website doesn't say they are out. they are good about saying they don't have any in stock.

buck0

Apr 24, 2011
Orange County, Ca
The stock CDI runs like a dinosaur compared to the modified one sold by Jnmotors. Well worth the 80 bucks. Next is to see how it'll run with the manic head.

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
This is my newest review on these...
So- far, I've installed two of these custom CDI boxes & (CR-80 coils); & I've found that the internal electronics don't hold up to the heavy vibrations from high speed riding. :(

Both of the CDIs that I installed ended up failing several times & needed repeated re-soldering of the electronics inside.

These CDIs did what they were advertised they would do... but they quickly break. :(

Last edited:

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
This is my newest review on these...
So- far, I've installed two of these custom CDI boxes & (CR-80 coils); & I've found that the internal electronics don't hold up to the heavy vibrations from high speed riding. :(

Both of the CDIs that I installed ended up failing several times & needed repeated re-soldering of the electronics inside.

These CDIs did what they were advertised they would do... but they quickly break. :(
I wonder what a more shock proof mounting of some sort would do for them......

Or

Just do these CDI's like we do some of the other stuff on these MB's, go into it and make it better right out of the box before it is even installed..... for the price though this thing should be very well made IMHO...!

Peace

headtrama

Jul 8, 2010
california
I laid down some silicone on the bottom of the box . And used some foam on top of it . I have been running mine like this for about a month now .

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
I laid down some silicone on the bottom of the box . And used some foam on top of it . I have been running mine like this for about a month now .
Can you honestly tell a difference in how the engine runs with it compared to the stock CDI?

Just curious, I plan on getting a couple of them but I want more fed back from people who are alreadu running them to help me decide if they are worth the $80 or not..

Thanks, Peace

headtrama

Jul 8, 2010
california
It smoothed out the vibrations for sure . You get to run a real coil that's a plus . And you have four timing curves to choose from . I have done a lot of work to my motor besides the Cdi box , I built a pipe for it cleaned up the ports and changed the head the bike has picked up some mph and runs real good with no four stroking at all . The only thing left is for it to blow up now lol .

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
It smoothed out the vibrations for sure . You get to run a real coil that's a plus . And you have four timing curves to choose from . I have done a lot of work to my motor besides the Cdi box , I built a pipe for it cleaned up the ports and changed the head the bike has picked up some mph and runs real good with no four stroking at all . The only thing left is for it to blow up now lol .
Oh My.! we dont want that............!

Did you upgrade the upper needle bearing?

this is what i'm doing to all my engines as soon as I get them in, I may put an offer in the swap & shop on these bearings so others dont have to chase them down if they would like to replace theirs also, I think this is a very good mod on these engines myself, I had an engine that was running great with maybe a slight clicking on the top end, I put a new head on that engine that I had shave down a few 0.000's and it started rattling pretty bad on top afterwards because the top bearing wasnt up to the increased compression, seems people have had failures with this bearing many times so from now on I'll be making this upgrade to all my engines..........

well I guess before long I'm gonna have to try one of these upgraded CDI units from JNMotors, the smoother part sounds good for sure and the increased rpm for a bit more MPH isnt bad either, I've done all kinds of other things to them might as well give this a shot too, these little boogers can use all the help they can get............!

Peace

pasheil

Mar 24, 2011
Argentina
Does anyone have the Modified CDI Schematics Diagram so i can build it myself?? I live in Argentina, and the CDI's i can buy are for engines with a sensor wire.

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
As far as I know, Jaguar isn't making them anymore, as his site for CDI purchase links over to JNMotors.
I had direct email conversation with Michael "jaguar" and he told me that he was giving the retail rights over to JNMotors exclusively but I was under the impression that he is still the manufacturer of the CDI and then JNMotors is just upgrading the package with the coil and the nice plug wire......

This is what I gathered from what he told me..........I could be mistaken on some part of it but I think this is right, please correct me if I'm wrong.

Peace