Johnny 5 is Alive a Short Circuit BTR!

GoldenMotor.com

gooseneck

Nov 27, 2015
concord, ca. usa
No idea where you all start when you build. Is it with a bike and you get an engine or do you start building an engine and the bike sort of shows up in pieces?

This one started with the engine. Saw a deal on eBay Made in Taiwan clone GX120 4hp engine. Quite a few HP parts for these GX120 engines are there is midget stock class they race with them.

I found the footprint to be that of the HF99cc/79cc engine. How ever it is a bit wide on the right side according to my tape.

First thing I do is strip it and rip it. Strip it of its excess parts and rip it of its governance and oil sensor.

Rip rip strip strip.

This block has three holes to plug. Requiring tap. I use JB weld in place of silicone. These pugs will never be removed. Or leak.
i started when looking for mopeds and found this Most Awesome Forum, then the HF 79CC because it was on sale, then the Blue light Special at K Mart for the Blackwell, then all the parts and pieces trying to trick it out.
then got bit on lacing and truing wheels.
anyways your name and avatar look familiar was it on a Crawler RC foum?
i kinda now just jump between my projects since i have AAAA DDDD (that's Quadruple, maybe even multiply it)
i would be lost if their wasn't nothn' too build.
any ways have a lot of great fun La'brat :)

LabRat

Dec 24, 2011
Ruston, Washington
i started when looking for mopeds and found this Most Awesome Forum, then the HF 79CC because it was on sale, then the Blue light Special at K Mart for the Blackwell, then all the parts and pieces trying to trick it out.
then got bit on lacing and truing wheels.
anyways your name and avatar look familiar was it on a Crawler RC foum?
i kinda now just jump between my projects since i have AAAA DDDD (that's Quadruple, maybe even multiply it)
i would be lost if their wasn't nothn' too build.
any ways have a lot of great fun La'brat :)

Gooseneck:You may see my avatar on FB and on Minibike or old engine forum. I am a public person; I like the light.

AAAA DDDD... yeah been working on my flying machine 2 years now.... I am getting there....

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
Clever details, good choice on engine & performance mods. Fork and wheels look good together & the re-purposed wardrobe mad a fine cover for your saddle. You've got it going on! Rick C.

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
LabRat Welcome back!
Always love your creativity, Nice build. going as a motorcycle license for this one?...................Curt

LabRat

Dec 24, 2011
Ruston, Washington
Going as a motorcycle license for this one?...................Curt
Yes I will attempt to title and plate this motorized bicycle as a moped in Washington State. I have the papers. I have yet to attempt to use them.

Missing link is creating the actual legal sum checked vin number. This is easy math.

But, I have to have a VIN plate made to affix to the frame. I have already sourced this local. Will be made on command when build is ready. (and pending cash)

Attachments

itchybird

Nov 4, 2009
SF Bay Area.
Bike looks good and you have the right performance mods to that motor, my recommendation, however, would be to not skimp on the flywheel. 7500 RPM on a clone flywheel is not the safest option. You should be able to find an ARC billet flywheel for about $100. We will run OEM Honda flywheels on some performance builds, but never the clone piece.

gooseneck

Nov 27, 2015
concord, ca. usa
Bike looks good and you have the right performance mods to that motor, my recommendation, however, would be to not skimp on the flywheel. 7500 RPM on a clone flywheel is not the safest option. You should be able to find an ARC billet flywheel for about $100. We will run OEM Honda flywheels on some performance builds, but never the clone piece.
since itchybird mentioned this, does anyone know if the aluminum performance
flywheel is made for the 79cc HF engine? I believe AGK has them for the 212cc
HF.

LabRat

Dec 24, 2011
Ruston, Washington
Sorry, I was mostly looking at the pics, thought this was a 196cc clone. I don't think there is a billet option for the smaller motors.
They have them for the Gx120 its a midget cart motor. There are two stages of cast iron one stock one HD in some way. I have considered this.

As I stated I just do not want the light weight pulley.

Special note: I have had one come apart while riding hard. It clank a t clank sounded like someone put a bag of rocks in my engine as it came apart in there and I skidded to a stop. Dented the cover and tore a few holes in the pull start cover.

But ya know I hammered the dents out. Got a new flywheel off eBay. That old fly wheel.... it sits in the bottom of a crap pot now. One of my best catching pots last year.

Those dents... Well they added character to a "Rat Named Ward" and give me a hella story to boot.

Thirdly if I got one of the billet fly wheels I create a new problem how do I start my engine?

LabRat

Dec 24, 2011
Ruston, Washington
Johnny 5: We'll be right back after these words from our sponsors...INPUT INPUT INPUUUUUUUT

Work Outstanding

Install Glass bowl and run copper line for the fuel. - have bowl no line or 1/4" connectors
Wire the lights and horn. - need flashers and horn
Fab intake and exhaust. - not even sourced the steel for this
Widen already wide three piece crank set. - by fire
Install battery - box made / brackets must be welded into the frame

LabRat

Dec 24, 2011
Ruston, Washington
Great looking tank, nice bike build Ted
Got that tank so I could run it polished with the raw steel frame.
SS just would not work for the effect. Nice work coming out of California. We can not get jack fabricated for us around here. So thankful there is anyone making this one off stuff for the niche market.

Locally: Its like no one wants to work. Or our job/s to small. $80 a foot to do aluminum does not include fabrication fee or shop time.

Oh Thank you for your kind words CulverCityClassic

Last edited: