A Dark Horse

GoldenMotor.com
Status
Not open for further replies.

truckd

Oct 19, 2010
palmdale calif
This is a joint build between Dan ( Taylar Motorbikes ) and myself the bike is in between Dan's house and mine during the different facets of the build and fabrication it is a tribute build of a 1911 Indian BTR

The engine for this bike is a moderately modified PK 69.5/80cc I had sitting around so we decided to use it for this build.

The bike is going to be a deep Burgundy, Indian never painted their bikes this color however as the bike sat aging ( a 100 YRS. or so ?) in a garage, a basement or old barn, the led in the paint blended with the metal of the bike and turned the color into a Burgundy, most people that find an Indian in it's declining stages often restore the bike using the Burgundy color thinking it was original but not so, no harm no fowl as it doesn't decrease the value of the bike at all and we thought we'd do something different for the color

Here is a couple pic's of the Frame on stand, Forks & Tank as we start the build, the forks are actually from a 1936 Rollfast and the color is what we're going for.

Attachments

Last edited:

truckd

Oct 19, 2010
palmdale calif
Chain.....
Yes Dan does make a curved back bone frame here is a pic of a curved back bone on a Norton Dan did a while back.
Here are some build pic's of the engine cylinder porting on the Dark Horse.

Attachments

truckd

Oct 19, 2010
palmdale calif
Here are a few more pic's of the porting, fins all cleaned up and intake tube ported as well, I can't tell ya how many tootsie rolls (Drumel sanding rolls)I went through now stay tuned for the paint.

Attachments

Last edited:

truckd

Oct 19, 2010
palmdale calif
Sorry Chain here are yer pic's of curved back bone these are the only pic's I have and don't know if they can be sized bigger? I tried and apparently not.

Attachments

Last edited:

truckd

Oct 19, 2010
palmdale calif
Engine complete and back together, intake, exchange and exhaust ported out on cylinder, intake manifold tube ported as well as the lower engine casing exchange ports, piston modified and precision needle bearing and machined wrist pin, the head was lapped and lightly polished with sand paper and little 3/16" heat relief drilled in the sides of the head (looks Cool Too)

Attachments

truckd

Oct 19, 2010
palmdale calif
And the final results on the engine, both bottom end gasket and head were hand made with automotive grade gasket material and pro racing aluminum gasket material as well as treated with the copper coating and automotive grade Allen bolts for the head torqued to 12ft lbs, the NT carb was re-jetted and the compression is very good on this little engine.

Attachments

Last edited:

truckd

Oct 19, 2010
palmdale calif
Yes the edge was broken so we cut that portion off and still have 1" of thread, made a shim for the bolt and it actually helped align the engine very well, the engine was inspected and there is no other damage, could have been bumped during shipping, maybe done at the factory ? I dropped one during paint and the same damage accured still got that one in the closet.

truckd

Oct 19, 2010
palmdale calif
Fabrication of the motor mounts and fitting today, we decided to use the squared tubing and then we fab'd an aluminum plate all shined up to go over the top and bent the edges over about a 1/4" to match the faux crank case, the crank case will look like the Redskin's without the dress up and line Ah! well maybe later ? haven't got there yet.

The crank is a Schwinn Sting Ray 5" as well as the cups and bearings with a Worksman 36 tooth sprocket the wheels are Huffy with 12 gauge spokes that have been re-trued and snugged up a bit the whole wheel will get powder coated Black with cream colored Duro brick pattern 26x2.125" tires, and good Ol' Schwinn tubes.

Attachments

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.