DIY parts with simple tools.

GoldenMotor.com

redneck82

May 25, 2014
concord, nh
HMMMMM That does kind of give me an idea that could eliminate the need for a spring... How about an A frame stand that could flip 180 degrees from being a stand and also be a rear rack and latch to the seat post when up and latch to the chain stays when down?

if you take that idea mark had, but have the whole rack flip, you'd have the solid platform for the back to rest on... you could swap out the rear axle for longer threaded rod (cut to length as needed) and have the front end of the rack on a quick release from the seat post... mount the straps outside the retainer nuts once the axle and wheel are in place, then simply leave the outer retaining nut a little bit loose so that the stand can swivel freely, double nut so it doesn't all come apart running down the road and done... you could make the whole rack from 1/4x1" flat stock aluminum (pretty cheap) and can all be done with simple tools that most people have... at least if they have one of these bikes they "should" have the tools needed lol if not, they shouldn't have the bike lmfao

Last edited:

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
When assembling many pulleys an gears with keys on a jack shaft, getting it all assembled means tilting it at an angle to get it finally in place with the pillow bearings and split collars. I have to be sure the set screw bears down on the key and if the key is not exact length, but almost, I put a piece of foam at one end of the key. Once assembled it keeps the key slid to one side or the other so I know it will be right.

A huge box of assorted size and length keys I got from HF usually work without any need to do this. When it does not, cutting a key custom is not any better and so what is easy to do makes sense to me.

MT

PS, I use split collars to sandwich pulleys and gears in place on the jack shaft, so I don't have to even use the set screws but I like extra security in case one fails.

Last edited:

Otero

Feb 1, 2010
wa
Old post, but I have an FYI. Most hardware stores carry 6' lengths
of 1 1/2" x 1 1/2" galv. steel angle with 3/8" holes an inch apart.
This is the stuff of a big boy's erector set. It can be cut at angles
or split into flat pieces to serve a jillion uses. It bolts together quickly;
the flat splits an be bent into clamps etc. One can make almost anything
with this stuff with just a hack saw, even a bike frame.

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
I was thinking along those lines, but now I have found something cheap and rattly ready made.

2' x 1', and you can screw extra bells and whistles to them

See, I got science, me.

Last edited:

Otero

Feb 1, 2010
wa
Golly, and here I thought it was an English delicacy. Oh well, I'm
back to fashioning a comfortable saddle from a wash board, a perfect
match for the local roads.