Carr Precision DIY kits?

GoldenMotor.com

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
I still think there's a place for the simplicity of FD, provided it doesn't rain.

FFV8

Oct 29, 2013
Spring Valley NV
"Provided it doesn't rain" I am going with sarcasm on that one.

The OP lives in Bend OR. The dry part of OR, it only rains 77 days a year.

As for whining about the cost, a brand new 1E44F is around 100 bucks shipped. The straight up 5:1 trans comes with it. And yes, I opted to add a CVT for another 100 bucks - and still have a brand new 5:1 box sitting on the shelf.

The OP wanted to keep the cooling on an engine designed for it, and I simply pointed out it can be done. I ride in 105 f ambient temps, and mostly WOT. So far the forced cooling is good.

I was a Homelite dealer decades ago. A fine little engine for it's assigned task. I would not put that sort of side load on the cantilever crank in the string trimmer engines - an outboard bearing should be used.

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
FFV8 Were did you by it form? I bought a couple CVT's from scooterpartsfor less and the shafts are crocked so the drum wables.

FFV8

Oct 29, 2013
Spring Valley NV
THANK you is that were you got the engine to?............Curt
Nah, I am a total price point prostitute when it comes to chinese stuff. Lowest price wins - search E-Bay for pocket bike motors, price & shipping. Usually PCC or 99motor are the low ball price. Sometimes it is a smaller vendor.

Citi-sporter

Jun 16, 2014
North Bend, Or,
I am not a fan of these small cc engines. I would prefer at less 46cc saws which are a little heavy (around 10 lb) but they do whatever i want to do. There is a detailed report, published in a caldera. You should take it as a reference.

Well I'm not seeing an apples to cucumbers comparison as being cogent to this discussion. They're were talking about chain saws, and most of them were electrics. That link had nothing to do with engine assisted bikes.

Your point?

Citi-sporter

Jun 16, 2014
North Bend, Or,
"Provided it doesn't rain" I am going with sarcasm on that one. * snippy...*

The OP lives in Bend OR. The dry part of OR, it only rains 77 days a year.
I'm actually on the coast of Oregon. It's been raining pretty good here. While over on the dry side they've been having some good snows. If it dries out some here I can still ride my FD bike. Not sure if FD's work well in freezing weather with snow I'd assume if it was a powder snow, dry roads and no thawing and slush, it would be OK.

FFV8

Oct 29, 2013
Spring Valley NV
But if you put a chain on it & ran a shift kit you could ride anytime - and up the steepest grades.

If I was building a hard tail I probably would have put the engine in the frame & used a shift kit with the 5:1 trans. I have one hill nearby that needs the pedals even with the CVT.