Is this bicycle a good candidate?

GoldenMotor.com

sofasurferlinux

Jun 24, 2009
Davison, Mi
I know that the requirements for the motor I ordered from PowerKingShop are supposed to be 15 inches of verticle room and 14 inches of horizontal room. But for the sake of converstaion and education I want to ask if the bike I currently have is a good candidate. Its a Schwinn Suntour. It does not meet the recommended requirements, I don't think. But I was wondering what experienced builders would say if they were offered the chance to put a motor on it. I know there is no upper bar for the gas tank but I think an old barrel type from an old lawn mower would look cool on the front of the handlebars.

Attachments

Last edited:

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
If this is your first build, I'd use a steel MTB or beach cruiser. The kit is designed for those frames. You'll spend more time riding and less time wrenching and troubleshooting by using the right frame.

sofasurferlinux

Jun 24, 2009
Davison, Mi
I am definately looking for a differant bike but as a last resort this is what I'll use. I should be able to find a better one though. I'm a old hand at dumpster diving and garage saleing.

Clotho

May 25, 2008
I am definately looking for a differant bike but as a last resort this is what I'll use. I should be able to find a better one though. I'm a old hand at dumpster diving and garage saleing.
Good call. That bike has some good parts (Suspension forks) but is a poor choice for a motorized bike. I would avoid the gas tank on the handle bars idea as well. A metal one may be ok but a plastic one is a disaster waiting to happen. In the event of an accident you are likely to end up being showered in fuel with that configuration.

Many here have had luck finding suitable bikes in Craigslist.com Even if you only find a decent frame you can probably use many of the parts on your Schwinn to construct a decent bike.

Good luck with the build!