First Build Aluminum Frame, Mistake??

GoldenMotor.com

TyDow

Sep 10, 2008
Wisconsin
Hello Everyone,

I think I made a big mistake by choosing a mountain bike with an aluminum frame for my first build. I know I should not drill the frame to mount the engine but do you guys have any other major suggestions regarding aluminum frames? Just want to make this first build as easy as possible. I bought my kit from dax.

Ty

FileStyle

May 27, 2008
Decatur,IL
so far , so good I have a aluminum GT Agreesor with 2300 miles on it. one hole in the frame. just dont drill through the frame to mount the motor. I used a custom adaptor plate for the front of the motor and then used a 5/16" u bolt to secure to the frame. I would have really preferred to use a good steel frame instead though! just to reduce possibility of stress,vibration cracks.

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
You can use a muffler clamp to reach around those fat aluminum tubes. Many examples of that on this site.
If you have a bargain aluminum bike, inspect the welds often.
Aluminum frames from major brands (GT, Trek, Specialized, etc) should be more than adequate.

Outrunner

Dec 27, 2008
Atlanta, Georgia
Hello Everyone,

I think I made a big mistake by choosing a mountain bike with an aluminum frame for my first build. I know I should not drill the frame to mount the engine but do you guys have any other major suggestions regarding aluminum frames? Just want to make this first build as easy as possible. I bought my kit from dax.

Ty
Ty Dow, I have an aluminum frame bike also. What I did to mount my engine turned out fairly simple, and I highly recommend it. First wrap a
piece of old inner tube once around the area of the frame where you plan to mount the engine. next, measure the diameter of the frame and tube at the front mount and the rear mount. Purchase two muffler clamps for the two frame mounts. Also buy a flat piece of 1/8 or 3/16"
thick aluminum. Cut the aluminum into two pieces, about 3-!/2" wide and about 2-1/2" tall. Drill two holes in each piece to allow the motor mount bolts to fit through. Then drill two more holes for the muffler
clamps to go through. This will allow you to mount the motor without
damaging the frame, plus help eliminate some vibration too. I hope
this make sense to you. It took me MANY hours of trial and error to
figure this out.

Last edited:

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
I just put my first hub motor on a thin alum frame road bike. I have about ten miles on it and I like it. It is much easier to roll in and out of the shop. I have a nasty little turn around a door that used to break my back with the steel bikes I built.

I had to do a couple of things to make it fit but no drilling.