Rear tire wobbly around the bearings.

GoldenMotor.com

JOBAfunky

May 21, 2014
F'n Kansas
So I have a Huffy Cranbrook beach cruiser that I bought and repaired/upgraded. Well, the chain ate a chunk out of the back tire because the axle slipped a bit letting the wheel tilt. I tried cranking down axle bolts but ended up widening the slot the axle fits in... So put in some heavy duty washers slapped it back together aaaand the sprocket didn't seem to be lining up well. So I pulled it and flipped it so that it dishes out and things seem to line up better. The problem comes in with the coaster brake assembly that I had to take off the hub to get the sprocket off. When I put it back on I kinda tightened it up to, "F you you f'n bike," normal tension and I noticed a lot of cogging with the bearings. I loosened it until it would turn smoothly. It test rode fine but I did notice that the wheel has a bit of play in it. So am I OK riding like this or do I need to take the whole thing off and repack bearing/replace the hub, or what?

TLDR: Overtightened coaster lever back on and now wheel has some play in it.

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Make sure the sprocket clears the hub and tighten the cones to the correct amount. Bend the brake arm if need be. Don't just hack it up, or you will be sorry.

JOBAfunky

May 21, 2014
F'n Kansas
I bent the heck out of the brake arm to get it clear. But,"Tighten the cones," is an alien concept to me. Like I said, I loosened the bolts until the axle would turn freely.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Last edited:

ckangaroo70

May 13, 2011
Central Illinois
The Coaster brake arms on the Huffy bikes are really too soft and the "D" type hole will become rounded out and allow the axle/bearings to become loose. Inspect your coaster brake arm for wear and see if that might be part of your trouble. It will slip past the "D" keeper if stripped. I upgrade the coaster brake arm on my Huffy Cranbrook to a harder steel Shimano arm exactly like this. http://www.ebay.com/itm/231559083555?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT
Coaster brakes are not the greatest braking system for a motorized bike in my opinion, but if you are going to use them like I do..best to have at least a good hardened arm that is much less likely to fail then the stock one which will allow the wheel to come loose if it strips out.