Skyhawk frame build / thoughts

GoldenMotor.com

Agreen

Feb 10, 2013
Southeastern GA
Well, i got it. Found another video, which seemed kind of shady, but it worked. I just had to beat the crap out of the shaft until it came out. Made me nervous...

Anyways, it's coming along. I ported the transfer ports a little. Hopefully it'll make things a bit smoother. Not looking for a power monster, just efficiency and smoothness. I should have balanced the rotating assembly but i don't have a small enough scale.

Back to the bike. What do you use as a seat post clamp? All the ones from my other donor bikes are welded to the frame. Anyone got any creative solutions?

Attachments

Agreen

Feb 10, 2013
Southeastern GA
Looks like that'll work.

New update. Haven't had much time to mess with it, but I did throw a chain on it and ride it a little. At first the rear wheel was growling at me. I pulled the rear hub apart again and found I didn't have the right side bearing seated properly. There was a washer that got caught between the bearings and outer race. Didn't go very far so I know I didn't damage it. I also realized that I didn't have brakes yet. So that was a very short trip. Got that all fixed up and went for a real ride. This time then chain kept popping. Something isn't quite right, so I have a little more work to do now.

Agreen

Feb 10, 2013
Southeastern GA
Found a good bike shop in Charleston today. Got a new 18t freewheel, a 31.8mm seat clamp, and I'm going back to get a dual brake lever. Also had to make a stop at a TrueValue store for some 6mmx1.0 100mm studs. Got the engine mounted, left sprocket on, and a couple other small issues taken care of. Need a brake cable and the dual pull, so I'm out to gather more parts.

I did ride the bike before mounting the engine (have to make sure it bicycles properly, of course). This has to be one of the smoothest bikes I've ever ridden! I'm starting to like the shock forks, so they might stay. And there is next to zero chain noise. I'm really pleased with this thing.

Almost there!

Attachments

Agreen

Feb 10, 2013
Southeastern GA
So I had a few issues here and there to overcome, but a big thanks to you guys for helping me through them! This bike is fantastic. I enjoy riding it more than than the motorcycle now.

I had one more issue though... I confused the clutch cable and throttle cable and cut the carb end off the cable. A little quick thinking and a soldering iron fixed me up, but my wife came out wondering what in the world i was swearing about.

Amazingly, the first ride was absolutely flawless. 10 mph has been the max speed while i get it broken in. No carb problems, no chain problems, no sputtering or stalling. Just smooth sailing all around. The more i ride it, the quieter and smoother it gets.

Now I need some nice lights for it. Then once it's within the law for lights and broken in, I'll take it all apart and powder coat the frame.

Attachments

knightscape

Jul 29, 2013
Maine
Sure doesn't look like you parted out 2 bikes and welded your own steerer to get this one together. Nice job, looks good!

Agreen

Feb 10, 2013
Southeastern GA
Thanks for the kind words.

I guess I should also add that I got the motor kit on EBay... shameful as that is to admit. Got it for $120 though, but every bearing on it is a roller and not a bushing. Even more surprising is the minimal amount of porting I had to do. Yeah, the transfer ports needed some work, but the intake and exhaust ports needed only a little flashing removed. The ports looked really nice as they were, so I didn't change their size or shape.

New tires, some lights, and a powder coat job... I'll be officially done! For now though, I'm going to enjoy the smooth ride and figure out more ways to tuck the cables and wires.

Jan 17, 2015
ca.
Greetings..now I know why you were positive about my headtube question. I've redone steerer tube like you've done before too. Nice job! Dang everytime I see that in frame tank,another check to the plus side,especially since I will not use a peanut tank...ever..lol

Agreen

Feb 10, 2013
Southeastern GA
Thanks scratchbuilder! Yeah, the steer tube was a pain to get right, but well worth the effort. I really hate the look of peanut tanks. If I had a tig welder, I would build my own tanks like scotto. He starts with 4" aluminum box tube and cuts it down to make a simple, yet elegant tank.

On that note, I do have a spare peanut tank, so I may do a new build on an existing bike with a chainsaw engine... hmmm.....

Jan 17, 2015
ca.
I agree those boys (scotto&CCC)...inspiration. Their builds are the reason I'm standing up my 79pred. 441BSA style. And their tanks...maybe I could heat and squeeze a peanut into a diamond..lol

woogie_man

Aug 9, 2013
Fargo, ND
Nice looking man.

I have been reading this as I am building mine. I was lucky enough to have a donor bike that matched everything, though I noticed through your thread about the sizes.

I found that I can squeeze 29"x2" wheels in the frame.

flbikejunkie

Jun 7, 2015
Ft Myers, FL
Nice read and glad it all worked out. I just finished my first build with a standard cruiser bike. Don't like the look with the standard peanut tank, so just bought this frame and have a donor mountain bike that I'll be transferring everything else over from. Watching your build will make it easier. Thanks.