Can a Bent Rim Be Restored?

GoldenMotor.com

Catfisher

Apr 10, 2010
Heart of Illinois
.flg.

My adult son borrowed my bike the other day without asking. He did not run the compressor and fill the tires to the maximum limit, around 55 lbs. I don't know how low the rear tire was, maybe around 45 lbs. I don't know exactly what happened. First he told me the rear tire went flat and asked me to patch the tube. I repaired the tube, but when I examined the almost new rear tire I found it had a 3/8ths inch split parallel to and about 1/4th inch above the rim. So I am about to order another new tire.

He then admitted he had tried to jump some curbs to get out of the way of a vehicle. It isn't completely clear, but I think he was trying to jump up a curb; not down off the curb.

Examining the rim I found it has been bent or deformed somewhat inward. The tube and tire hold air fine, but the rim now wobbles left and right, rubbing on the brake pad on one side.

The tech at the Bushwacker store near me said it is not repairable, but I would appreciate the advice of the group. Here are two pictures of the damage.

The deformation appears to be limited to one side of the rim, where it must have cut the tire. Does anyone have any experience carefully using a hammer to restore the rim contour?

Any ideas or suggestions of ways to make this rim usable will be appreciated. At the same time, if you strongly advise I buy a new rim I'd like to know that, too.

I'm on a very limited budget and even a slightly less than perfect repair would be acceptable if it is safe to use.

Thanks to All

:-||

Attachments

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
i've fixed rims like that before. but the time and hassle may not be worth it.

you'll need to take it completely apart, unlace it down to the rim, then beat out the flat spot with a rubber mallet. beside the deformed side, it's probably slightly egg shaped, so you need to push, pull, beat on it, etc to get it round again, the re lace and true it.

and you still may have a "hop" in it.

it doesn't look like an expensive wheel. you could get a new one for under 50 bucks, or try craigslist for a used one.

bluegoatwoods

Jul 29, 2012
Central Illinois
I've never repaired a rim with damage like that. But I was thinking pretty much what bairdco said; yes, it's possible. But it's likely not worth the time and it probably won't be perfect.

But re-lacing a wheel is a good skill to have. So maybe this is an opportunity. If you don't know how to do it, youtube can show you plenty of videos that teach it.

And the money you save over buying a new wheel will more than pay for a Kryptonite lock to keep family from destroying your bike in the future.

Aaaarrggg! That sounds like the sort of thing my kids would do to me. That is, if they could be bothered to ride a bicycle.

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
Speaking from the low buck seats, Yes you can pound out the dent and true it back up.
Bairdco pretty much covered it.
I've done it on the side of the trail with a rock just to get home.

Trey

$50 Cruiser
Jan 17, 2013
Where cattle outnumber people 3 to 1.
Catfisher- You sir, have been well advised here. I second all.

A stout worksman wheel would be one of the best options, but most of us seem to ride lesser rims. When the budget doesn't allow for new, you have to get crafty with the repairs.

Just what you said; "carefully using a hammer", that's an option. Don't be afraid to use other hardened tools to help you out in the minimal shaping you have to do. Use wood backer blocks if at all possible, and take your time.
The added benefit is learning wheel-building. It's a really satisfying thing, I hope you enjoy it.

Good luck, and keep us informed.