Spoke

GoldenMotor.com

TakeiT

Apr 17, 2014
Oshawa, Ontario
I had my chain tensioner bend in and bend one of my spokes, knocking the wheel out of true. It's been about a month, but I havent been around to fix it, and today I need to travel to the next city, about 20km each way. The tire is not rubbing, and seems to still work fine. Is it safe to ride?

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
On my Junk Yard Dog I had a wheel that needed truing.

It was not that bad so I did not worry too much figured I would true it up later.

It tacoed on me and I ended breaking my tail bone. I'd get your wheels fixed...

Attachments

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
Ouch.
I've done that in the past under human power and stomped it flat enough to get me home...
Not as likely under motor power though.

Citi-sporter

Jun 16, 2014
North Bend, Or,
It's really not a good idea to just keep riding it, the other spokes will start to break as they take up the stresses that one spoke held. Bike wheels are a balance of forces held in by the even-ness of the whole of all the spokes in tension.

Take that as you will, but I've repaired bikes for many years and a damaged rear wheel is a bike wheel guaranteed to fail.

TakeiT

Apr 17, 2014
Oshawa, Ontario
5 seconds with a spoke wrench and bent the spoke straight again, seemed to fix it. Might get some aluminum alloy rims, saw some online for $20 for the pair, so I might pick them up

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
The chain tensioner can be mounted to the frame with the Long side on the inside OR outside.
The tensioner wheel comes in the package set to mount the long side on the outside.

Reverse the wheel and put the long side on the inside so it points straight up to your chain line and not leaning in.