How to Fix Oily Magneto

GoldenMotor.com

skinnerman

Jul 28, 2014
Georgia
I was told that an oily magneto was the problem, but after reading up on it I saw that gas/oil are insulators, and shouldn't really effect the mag. My mag is only producing around 30v AC when it should be producing about 80v AC, correct? (thanks 2door)

So how can I fix it? How do I seal the case for the mag?

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
You probably have a bad seal behind the magnet, replace the seal and the mag coil and you should be good. You can do both for about $20. I keep a spare coil,cdi and carb.

Last edited:

Kioshk

Oct 21, 2012
Connecticut
Keep in mind that what's soaking your mag-coil is mostly gasoline, NOT oil. It's probably compromised the insulation. Buy TWO new coils (always have a spare). Also, you're gonna need new crank-seals (do 'em both). You MIGHT be able to replace them without splitting the case, but someone else will need to confirm this; I've replaced seals, but only during complete overhauls.

Suggestion: don't rely on the "shock test"; instead, remove the plug, reconnect it to the CDI, rest the plug's threads on the cylinder-head contacting the metal (you can tape it down if need be), and make sure you can see the spark-gap. Walk the bike letting the piston chug. You SHOULD be able to see a spark in the shade.

Edit: yes...like Greg sez!