Riding around Vancouver

GoldenMotor.com

CTripps

Aug 22, 2011
Vancouver, B.C.
Hey folks

I figured I might as well start this as a thread instead of a single post so that it might motivate me to go make more ride videos.

Anyway, here's the first one I've made using an Emerson HD ActionCam that I picked up recently. (Info in this post)

Youtube Link

I'll warn you in advance, it's close to an hour long. Here's a google map of the route. It was about 25 kms / 15.5 miles.

Cruiser Ride Jan-16-2014 route.jpg

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
Its strange how the jet stream moves cold air, I don't think it made it to 40° here Friday. The wind was also very bad, riding would have been tough. CT I have the same camera you have, I took mine to the Bahamas and used the water proof case to get pictures at water level. Its not bad at all, my son in law has a go pro. He and I have been talking about making a riding video using my two cameras and his to get shots from three different angles, he does good at editing and arranging video so it'll be better than what i can do.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
I enjoyed the ride. Neat scenery and good trails, streets. Thanks for sharing.

It sounds like you have a 'high idle' condition. I noticed it all during the video. Is there any reason for the engine to idle that fast?

Tom

CTripps

Aug 22, 2011
Vancouver, B.C.
Its strange how the jet stream moves cold air, I don't think it made it to 40° here Friday. The wind was also very bad, riding would have been tough. CT I have the same camera you have, I took mine to the Bahamas and used the water proof case to get pictures at water level. Its not bad at all, my son in law has a go pro. He and I have been talking about making a riding video using my two cameras and his to get shots from three different angles, he does good at editing and arranging video so it'll be better than what i can do.
I saw a bit on this at the Consumer Electronics Show.. Sony has a multiple camera system that would be great for doing vids like these.

I enjoyed the ride. Neat scenery and good trails, streets. Thanks for sharing.

It sounds like you have a 'high idle' condition. I noticed it all during the video. Is there any reason for the engine to idle that fast?

Tom
The high idle is a recurring problem. Every time I think I've tweaked it out, it waits a while and plays games again.

I have a leak on the exhaust side right against the cylinder. I'm not sure if it's a bad gasket/seal, or maybe a pinhole in the weld between the flange and the pipe. I don't see it while it's running, but there's a fine spray of brown spatter on top of the mag housing and the same stuff on some of the fins on the jug. I suspect I'm going to have to find something different to use for exhaust hangers than strips of metal I used in order to make the length of them more adjustable, so I can make sure they're carrying the weight of the pipe properly.

I don't think there's a leak on the intake side, I made sure that was really tight when it went together. I do want to get a reed kit for this bike, but any time I go looking they seem to be out of stock.

I know the head gasket's good, so it's definately at the exhaust port. Tested by running for a few minutes with a rolled up paper towel wrapped tightly around the head gasket and another wrapped around the pipe at the exhaust port. The head gasket wrap stayed clean, the exhaust one got dirty.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
I saw a bit on this at the Consumer Electronics Show.. Sony has a multiple camera system that would be great for doing vids like these.

The high idle is a recurring problem. Every time I think I've tweaked it out, it waits a while and plays games again.

I have a leak on the exhaust side right against the cylinder. I'm not sure if it's a bad gasket/seal, or maybe a pinhole in the weld between the flange and the pipe. I don't see it while it's running, but there's a fine spray of brown spatter on top of the mag housing and the same stuff on some of the fins on the jug. I suspect I'm going to have to find something different to use for exhaust hangers than strips of metal I used in order to make the length of them more adjustable, so I can make sure they're carrying the weight of the pipe properly.

I don't think there's a leak on the intake side, I made sure that was really tight when it went together. I do want to get a reed kit for this bike, but any time I go looking they seem to be out of stock.

I know the head gasket's good, so it's definately at the exhaust port. Tested by running for a few minutes with a rolled up paper towel wrapped tightly around the head gasket and another wrapped around the pipe at the exhaust port. The head gasket wrap stayed clean, the exhaust one got dirty.
I would pay particular attention to the intake manifold and carburetor area when looking for a vacuum leak. Typically a leak at the exhaust side does not cause a high idle speed. If your intake is chrome steel there's a good chance the flange is warped from the welding process. Even a good gasket won't seal well enough and tightening the fasteners won't do it either.
You can try a thicker gasket or better still, lap the gasket mating surface against a flat surface with sandpaper. I like to 'paint' the gasket side of the flange with a black magic marker then run it over the sandpaper a couple of times to show where the surface isn't flat. Then continue lapping until it is.

You might also want to check both crankshaft seals. Especially the one behind the magneto rotor (magnet). I've seen several where the seal wasn't driven in deep enough and the rotor dragged on it and damaged it. It should lay flush with the seal bore.

Good luck. Let me know if you find anything.

Tom

Danschutz

Aug 19, 2013
Wyoming
Tom, that's great advice, I needed that info!

CT, thanks for the vid haven't gone all the way through it and as you know I recently purchased a camera so Ive been looking at a bunch of bike vids. I think your camera is still a little high, lower than your first time out but still up there. I noted that in most videos the horizon line should stay right near the center of the screen, say 50% from the bottom of the picture to the horizon of the roadway (I hope Im saying the correctly) or even 60%. that way when the camera moves up a little you still see the road and I think it will help your white balance.

Of course this is all artistic interpretation :)

Dan.

CTripps

Aug 22, 2011
Vancouver, B.C.
Thanks for the input, Dan. I'll keep trying to adjust the position. It's pretty close, maybe another notch 'downward' will do it.

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
Man talk about feeling old, I went riding Sunday afternoon making a video of the ride. When I got home and reviewed it on my computer the date was wrong, CT if your camera is like mine if you turn off the date stamp in picture mode it does not change the video setting. I did not know that. If I had a way to edit the date/time stamp I would post it.

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
Dan if the camera is mounted to his helmet like it looks from the video it is very hard to keep it level, I guess I'm not "level headed" enough because the ones I made with my camera on my helmet were so bad some were not useable.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
One trick I learned from my helmet cam was to constantly think about what I was doing with my head. It takes some practice not to turn your head quickly, like at intersections, but if you can remember to do it slower than normal it helps eliminate that jerky glance to the right or left. Same for looking down or at your mirror. Slow does it. Those quick glances show up on your videos.
When I know I'm going to hit a bump I'll stand up on my pedals and let my knees absorb the shock. Your head and the camera will stay more steady.
Oh, and don't nod your head if you're agreeing with something your riding buddy said :)
This vid shows all of the mistakes I mentioned > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5lQcI5BTEuw
Tom

Last edited: