Lights?

GoldenMotor.com

Jesse_James

Apr 9, 2013
USA
So I got my bike working at 100% now I am on to some upgrades. I am putting lights on my bike and have a few questions. First how many volts comes out of the magneto? I want to connect the lights directly up to the magneto but will that be enough to power these lights?

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
If all those lights pulls more than 2.5 to 3 watts your engine won't run. 3 watts isn't much and won't produce much illumination. The white wire is only 6 to 8 volts A/C depending on engine rpm.

Forget that white wire. In fact cut it off of the magneto and go buy a battery. A 12 volt SLA (sealed lead acid) battery with at least a 5 amp hour rating will give you a lot of light and probably close to an hour on a full charge. The higher the AH rating the longer the battery will produce power. I use 7 and 10 amp hour batteries on my bikes.

Tom

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
No way will the china girl coil power all that wattage. It will simply prevent the engine from running.
Listen to 2door and get a battery setup.
I've had good results with power tool batteries as a power source.
Cheap and easy to find.
You should look into LED's for maximum efficiency.

Jesse_James

Apr 9, 2013
USA
The headlight is actually a halogen fog light from a car and the taillight is an LED light from a motorcycle.

Sorry for asking a stupid question but won't taking the white wire off from the magneto not make my bike start? Or do you mean wait to do that until I get the 12 volt SLA battery.

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
The white wire and the battery have nothing to do with each other. Cutting off the white wire will have absolutely no effect on the operation of the engine. I have tried running lights off the magneto when I had a 2 stroke, it doesnt work very well. it will rob spark from the engine. If you get a decent battery and led's with low amperage, you can have lights that will last multiple hours on a single charge. My headlight runs on two batteries wired together to produce 14.4v, and the batteries have a run time of 1.4 amp hours. My light draws 0.34 amps, so my batteries will run for about 4 hours on a single charge. There is a mathematical formula to calculate amperage and run time. You need to know the voltage and wattage of the device you want to power. You divide the wattage by the voltage to get the amperage. For example, if you have a 6 volt 3 watt light, you divide 3 by 6 to get 0.5, so that would be half an amp. You then divide the battery capacity by the amperage of the device to get the run time. A 5 amp hour battery and a 0.5 amp light equals 10 hours of run time. These are just examples of how the formula works to give you an idea.

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
That halogen light is going to be very high wattage, and its not really practical to run it on batteries without a built-in charging circuit. Assuming that the high wattage doesn't cause the battery to overheat (which most likely it will, and overheating batteries is EXTREMELY dangerous), it won't run for very long on a single charge. Most likely no more than 5 or 10 minutes if you're lucky. And if you connected it to your magneto, it wouldn't work at all because the engine would never start. You'll need an led with fairly low wattage to make a decent battery-operated lighting system.

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
After experimenting with the white wire, 12v SLA batteries, etc, I settled on bicycle LED lights with internal replaceable batteries. I tired of recharging SLA batteries and dealing with the extra wiring for the lights. For me, it is easier to keep some spare AAA batteries in my backpack than troubleshoot wiring problems.

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
I was never satisified with bicycle lights personally. They were never very bright, didn't look the way I wanted them to, were cheap and broke or vibrated apart, etc. I have a clamp made of sheetmetal that holds my batteries to my luggage rack, and all my wiring is quick disconnect. All I have to do is loosen the clamp, disconnect the wires, slide the battery out from the clamp, and bring them in the house. They are nicad batteries from r/c cars, and I have a 15 minute quick charger, so charging is a breeze. I have 3 batteries, two for my headlight, one for my brake light, and I can charge all 3 in under an hour. That's acceptable to me. Some might find it a hassle, but I think its less of a hassle than some other battery operated setups, and more reliable than bicycle headlights imho.

graydog8josh

Nov 23, 2012
Starkville,MS
cree sells really good lights, 1800 lumens is what i use but they sell them all the way up to 5200 lumens. they have a clever rubber mount and their own battery pack and charger. This is the way to go, check ebay.

ivan H

Oct 8, 2011
australia
Hi, I dont do all that much night riding, but for reasonable lighting, I rectified the output from the white wire & use it to constantly charge a 4.5A/h, 6V SLA battery. The white wire puts out 6V @ about 300mA max, so it wont cook the battery without a regulator. I have a 6V 26 watt halogen light hooked to the battery which gives ample light. Although I have never tested the battery's duration, I have used it for periods of like 20 minutes or half hour with no problems, & as the battery is being excited whenever the motor is running, its always fully charged. Cheers

Sgt. Howard

Sep 28, 2010
Okanogan, WA
Actually, I have a remarkable system that pushes the 6.7 AC( white wire)thru a bridge rectifier with two high capacity caps to power head, tail, brake and turn (all LED) without too much trouble- when the turn signals are installed, I use four 'AA' recargables to assist the system. Works just dandy- headlight isn't a barn burner, but you can drive with it.

graydog8josh

Nov 23, 2012
Starkville,MS
Lumens! I havent seen anyone who suggested any lighting system report their luminosity. 1800 is a whole lotta light. my battery pack is rechargable and about the size of 4 AA batteries and it lasts for hours. they sell one similar on sick bike parts to what i have, but i found it on ebay too. I dare someone else to try it, you wont be disappointed, it will be the best 25 dollars you ever spent on lighting. I have even been using it in power outages as an emergency light to light up my room

AssembleThis

May 11, 2014
NC United States
Ditto on the replies about going with LED's. Another thing to consider is your safety, anything but LED's will cause a fire in the event of a crash and subsequent gas spill. When considering the general construction of these gas tanks the risk of breakage and gas spill is very high. So please go with LED's!
usflg