Need help with gears ratio

GoldenMotor.com

badny8

May 14, 2013
Costa Rica
Hey guys,
I am building a chopper and I am planing to put a 50cc pocket bike engine on it, the frame is being costume made for it but I need help with what size sprockets to use on it.
What I will do is take the chain from the engine to the frame into a hub and that hub into the wheel like I did with the chain for the pedals, this since the back tire is 7" wide.
So I need to do the same with the engine, now what I need help with is, what size sprockets should I use in the frame hub and on the rear wheel, I am attaching a photo of the pedals frame hub.

Attachments

badny8

May 14, 2013
Costa Rica
Thanks a lot WightBoy,
I download it but I am not sure I am doing right.
I live in Costa Rica and we got a lot of hills, so mainly I need power versus speed, I dont really care about my top speed, what I am concern is that the little engine will help my up the hills since the bike is quite heavy (around 80 pounds).
Do you guys know what would be an standard setting for this so take it from there?

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com
Thanks a lot WightBoy,
I live in Costa Rica and we got a lot of hills, so mainly I need power versus speed, I dont really care about my top speed, what I am concern is that the little engine will help my up the hills since the bike is quite heavy (around 80 pounds).
Do you guys know what would be an standard setting for this so take it from there?
There are no standard settings.

You aren't telling us your rear wheel diameter and motor redline so there
is no way to figure it out.

Give your sprockets like this.

?? teeth on engine
?? teeth on jack shaft

?? teeth on jack shaft
?? teeth on rear wheel

Rear wheel diameter
Engine rpm

Input all the numbers above into the calculator and you will get the speed

Leave the 3rd set of boxes with 1 in them.

Help for Gear Ratio Calculator

Enter tooth count for up to 3 gear/chain sets. If you have less
than 3 gear/chain sets leave the unused fields at the default
value of 1:1.

If you're using a belt drive enter the diameter of the dirve and
driven pulleys in place ot tooth count. Any ratio will work and the
diameters can be entered in any chosen unit of measure as long
as the drive and driven pulley diameters are entered using the
same unit of measure.

Measure your wheel diameter for the most accurate speed. Using
the diameter printed on the tire can introduce errors.

For friction drives use the diameter of the friction drive wheel, not
the size of the driven wheel, as input to the wheel diameter field.

Last edited:

badny8

May 14, 2013
Costa Rica
Ok, got it now !
The rear wheel I am using is a 15" car rim.
Just one more thing, the highest the speed means that the slower the take off and the less torque (power for the hills) right?

thanks a lot guys, I appreciate you taking the time !

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
Thanks a lot WightBoy,
Is this a single-speed bike? I'm presuming that it is, so if you want to climb steep hills, your top speed on the road MIGHT be 20mph, with engine screaming. With a 15" car rim, let's say your tire diameter is 26". This is to make things simple, since many bicycles have 26" tire size. Lemme make calculations and come back.

Update: Use 29:1 to climb hills @ 7500rpm. Top speed is 20mph. Use 24:1 to climb hills with top speed @ 25mph @ 7500rpm. Find the 5;1 pocket bike transmission. Without it, proper gearing is impossible. Use 8mm T8F chain and sprocket from transmission to chainring. This to maintain strength and keep the chainring sprocket size smaller. Place an 11-tooth sprocket @ the trans and use a 63t chainring sprocket. That's 28.64:1, so the outside chanring should be 24-tooth. The rear hub sprocket will also be 24t. For 24:1 gearing, use all the same gears except the rear wheel hub. Change that one to 20-tooth. That gives 23.86:1.

If it was a regular 26" bicycal wheel, these calculations would work well. Unsure how the sheer weight of the car tire will affect hillclimbing. I know it will put a great strain on the pocket bike's clutch, which is the weakest part of the engine. Good luck.

Last edited: