shortest cranks that are still somewhat functional

GoldenMotor.com

the chief

Dec 9, 2012
chicago
whats the shortest cranks people have found to still be mildly functional? basically just long enough to be able to startup, not pedal as a functional nonmotorized bicycle. i tried a 3inch crank but it was way to short to get enough leverage especially with a 24 tooth front sprocket.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
After I lowered the Atomic BB I had to shorten the cranks from 168mm to 115mm. Then to make it easier to pedal I changed the gearing from 18/55, to 22/34. It's still a little hard to pedal, but recently on black friday I pedaled it 10 miles with a group of bicyclers on mostly level grade, and averaged about 9 mph. I'm 59 so I think I have a right to brag about it a little lol.

Last edited:

headtrama

Jul 8, 2010
california
Yeah he did , he said he needed to use them on start up, You also need them to get you going a little . If not his next post would be why did my clutch stop working lol.

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
I just take the cranks off my kids old 16" bicycles......they're plenty short and you can run the tiny pedals that come on them too ;) Or put larger pedals on if you prefer.

dnut