Pulled over apparently I need a license

GoldenMotor.com

wjffkdhkf

Nov 15, 2012
Mesa Arizona
Hi all. This may sound kind of like a rant/*****ing but it really isn't. I just thought that the encounter that I had with a police officer was interesting so I would like to post it here.

I have a 80cc two stroke motor mounted on a mountain bike. I lived in San francisco most of my life where I had absolutely no need to own a vehicle. But after I moved to Arizona, I really started to think that id need some kind of a transportation. So I bought a bike which got stolen after about a year so I recently replaced it with a motor bike.

At first it seemed like it had no ability to go beyond 24 miles per hour. but today when I was riding it, the bike suddenly started to pull me like a powerful motorcycle just with a light pull on the gas handle. So I thought this mustve been this ' motor break In ' that I was hearing so much about so I started going at top speed. When an officer pulled me over I was apparently going at 45 mph. Also because of that it invalidates any type of waivers for registration, insurance, license for motor assisted bicycle because 45 classifies my bike as a motorcycle. And the officer showed me how my ticket would add up to some crazh amout like 4000 because I was speeding, had no license, and was on bike lane and didn't abide by several other road rules. However he was kind enough to let me off when I told him that I recently moved to arizona and how I never learned to drive so a car or an actual motorcycle wasn't an option for me.

I mean I guess its kinda cool that my bike can perform like that. But the officer told me the legal limit would be 19 mph. I'm a really young and healthy person I used to be able to go past 24mph no problem on a regular non motor powered road bike. I guess id have to figure things out now and get a license. But gas powered vehicle going under 19 mph sounds kind of impractical to me. especially when there is no bike lane and I'm sticking to the right side of the road, and when in going slow I get kinda scared that I might get run over whenever a car passes behind me.

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
Yeah, I suggest you either drive under the legal limit for a bicycle, get a license and some sort of legal vehicle, or move somewhere else. Sounds like that cop is going to be out looking for you now, so that's going to ruin your chances of driving this vehicle at top speed. Getting a bigger sprocket for the rear wheel will reduce your top speed, and maybe if you are at least close to the legal limit, that cop will let you slide a bit.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
19 mph is pretty sucky, but at least you can ride. That's a lot better than some peoples situation. Ask someone in NY, or Washington state.

Maybe it's not as bad as it sounds though. There's a lot of MB riders from Arizona on this forum that will probably give you good advise about riding in Arizona.

spad4me

Jan 20, 2008
Arizona Bullhead
Hi all. This may sound kind of like a rant/*****ing but it really isn't. I just thought that the encounter that I had with a police officer was interesting so I would like to post it here.

I have a 80cc two stroke motor mounted on a mountain bike. I lived in San francisco most of my life where I had absolutely no need to own a vehicle. But after I moved to Arizona, I really started to think that id need some kind of a transportation. So I bought a bike which got stolen after about a year so I recently replaced it with a motor bike.

At first it seemed like it had no ability to go beyond 24 miles per hour. but today when I was riding it, the bike suddenly started to pull me like a powerful motorcycle just with a light pull on the gas handle. So I thought this mustve been this ' motor break In ' that I was hearing so much about so I started going at top speed. When an officer pulled me over I was apparently going at 45 mph. Also because of that it invalidates any type of waivers for registration, insurance, license for motor assisted bicycle because 45 classifies my bike as a motorcycle. And the officer showed me how my ticket would add up to some crazh amout like 4000 because I was speeding, had no license, and was on bike lane and didn't abide by several other road rules. However he was kind enough to let me off when I told him that I recently moved to arizona and how I never learned to drive so a car or an actual motorcycle wasn't an option for me.

I mean I guess its kinda cool that my bike can perform like that. But the officer told me the legal limit would be 19 mph. I'm a really young and healthy person I used to be able to go past 24mph no problem on a regular non motor powered road bike. I guess id have to figure things out now and get a license. But gas powered vehicle going under 19 mph sounds kind of impractical to me. especially when there is no bike lane and I'm sticking to the right side of the road, and when in going slow I get kinda scared that I might get run over whenever a car passes behind me.

What kind of engine ?

A happytime well broken in at redline ,6500rpm, with a26 inch rear wheel using 48 tooth rear sprocket will do 26 mph .

To do your claimed speed you would have to run a 26 tooth sprocket.

Or PLease, tune my engines for me.

I currently use a gp460 which will turn 11,000+ rpm all day long.
You would have to turn a stock happy time at the same 11,000 rpm to achieve 45 mph with a 48 tooth rear sprocket.
Did I mention the incredible wind resistance at those speeds.
And the need for around FIVE Horsepower to push a motorized bicycle and rider at speeds of 45 mph.
Please send tuning specs. If you can get a stock broken in ,Not broken up, happytime to even be able to run even once at those performance levels.

Last edited:

PAracer

Sep 14, 2012
Steelton, PA
IF that officer gave you a ticket for 45 on your bike, fight it. Reason being, unless you were flying down a hill abusing the crap out of your engine you cannot do 45 on a typical MB.

Something is fishy about this thread if you ask me. My guess is that this event didn't happen as stated, or at all.

Groove

Nov 2, 2012
Lexington, KY
When you said the bike all the sudden kicked in and began pulling much harder.....I know what you're talking about. My bike does that sometimes when I'm not expecting it. My bike is just past that getting broken in stage.. What causes that? I had to slow down because in my head I was thinking "waytoofast, waytoofast!!" The engine I have is just your typical Lucky Early Bird silver slant. I'm going to keep buying them though because apparently they have a "TURBO" feature that kicks in at random RPMs. LOL

wjffkdhkf

Nov 15, 2012
Mesa Arizona
IF that officer gave you a ticket for 45 on your bike, fight it. Reason being, unless you were flying down a hill abusing the crap out of your engine you cannot do 45 on a typical MB.

Something is fishy about this thread if you ask me. My guess is that this event didn't happen as stated, or at all.
The officer didn't give me a ticket. to be honest with you I can't really tell my own speed. I don't have a spedometer or anything and never really cared for speed. It was faster than my non motorized bike and I could get around and that's all that mattered.

But I can't really believe the officer either because all these other cars where the speed limit was 45 was passing by me way faster. But the motor seemed to be vibrating a lot more than usual.

Because I explained to the officer that Ive been taking the bus and street cars most of my life in california and that's why I never learned how to drive and this was my only option for now, he told me that I need to figure something out and get a car and a drivers license or something and need to keep under 19mph on bike lanes. I had to take the bus today, becase I didn't feel like risking it. I'm not riding my bike till I can get an m endorsed license.

wjffkdhkf

Nov 15, 2012
Mesa Arizona
What kind of engine ?

A happytime well broken in at redline ,6500rpm, with a26 inch rear wheel using 48 tooth rear sprocket will do 26 mph .

To do your claimed speed you would have to run a 26 tooth sprocket.

Or PLease, tune my engines for me.

I currently use a gp460 which will turn 11,000+ rpm all day long.
You would have to turn a stock happy time at the same 11,000 rpm to achieve 45 mph with a 48 tooth rear sprocket.
Did I mention the incredible wind resistance at those speeds.
And the need for around FIVE Horsepower to push a motorized bicycle and rider at speeds of 45 mph.
Please send tuning specs. If you can get a stock broken in ,Not broken up, happytime to even be able to run even once at those performance levels.
I didn't count the sprockets, so I can't really tell. but my motor is 80cc two stroke 5- 6 horse power and I swapped 26 inch mnt bike wheels with 29 inch hybrid wheels and I have to padal like crazy to start it up

Last edited:

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com
I didn't count the sprockets, so I can't really tell. but my motor is 80cc two stroke 5- 6 horse power and I swapped 26 inch mnt bike wheels with 29 inch hybrid wheels and I have to padal like crazy to start it up
5 to 6 HP is an outright lie by dishonest sellers.
Your so called "80" which is a 66 cc two stroke makes about 2 Hp

The Grubee Skyhawks claim 2.7 HP on their EPA motor tag.

Your 29" wheels will up your drive ratio a little bit over 26"

PAracer

Sep 14, 2012
Steelton, PA
There is a pretty easy way to stay under 19.

First, get a larger tooth-count sprocket. A 48 would knock the top speed down and give you torque down low. Perhaps they even sell one even bigger. Aim for a top speed of 28 or so. I know that is more than 19, but it gives you the ability to go a little faster when you need to. Same reason why cars can go 100 whn the speed limit is far less.

Second, pick up a digital tach off of ebay. I scored one recently for $15. For a given gear ratio and tire size, you can pin-point what RPM equals 19 mph.

You can still have plenty of fun on the bike. Heck, a big enough sprocket and you'll be pulling wheelies all over the place.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania

Not fun. Hope ya get it worked out. Sounds like the officer was cool.

The going threw all the hurdles and expense of a car and driver's licence seems huge if ya haven't had to do it, but is not that bad. Kinda intimidating at first glance. Yrs back I had the same deal. If you go that route.

But any way, best of luck and post how you are doing.

Last edited:

shwnrttr

Dec 2, 2009
titusville, florida
that cop is full of shizzy. no way you where doing 45. the cop probably just guessed the speed. id fight it. just find a way to prove the bike wont go that fast.

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
He has nothing to fight over. He was not charged with any infractions.
The cop was cool about it and let him go with a warning.

I agree that there is no way he was going 45 mph. A stock engine woulda' popped going that fast. The cop may have read a passing car and mistook the reading as the bike?

Oh well, it's a moot point now.

I suggest the OP get a class M license, keep the motorized bike and gear it down lower so the top speed is slower.
A 60 tooth sprocket is easy to get and the bike would be a virtual snail with one.
Wheelie prone though.

Deserted

Nov 25, 2012
Arizona
Yes in Arizona the limit is 19.9 mph and 48cc unless you plan to license it as a moped. Some people that have 49cc or 50cc engines get by with a new sticker on the engine cover that reads "47cc". Towns around the Phoenix area, particularly Mesa and Tempe, seem to be a lot stricter when it comes to street enforcement of the motorized bike laws. I don't seem to attract much attention in my town, but naturally I don't try to ride more than about 20-25 until I'm well past the patrol car.