my bike project

GoldenMotor.com

porkchop

Jul 13, 2012
Illinois
hello,this was my first build..havent been on a bicycle in a century...lol
started out with this older Mongoose bought from a friend for $40,first day riding home had blow out on front tire,wiped out in the grass walked bike to city bus stand rode bus home & parked it in the garage....put a new tire & tube on it...man i got a bad case of saddle sore lol..so changed the seat to

installed Grubee 66cc,i have a lot to learn the balance thing has come back quicker then i thought,i was sure i was going to get some road rash messing around here.

still trying to work the bugs out,i have got to say it has been an adventure seemed like i was trying to build this with a monkey wrench & a crowbar...lol

http://s1153.photobucket.com/albums/p514/brkb/

Last edited:

donphantasmo

Oct 3, 2010
Middleburg, FL
Good looking bike, there, Porkchop.

It's fun to build it, because you learn so much when you build your own. Then you're going to tinker with it a million times. That's the fun of this hobby/sport.

let us know if you need anything.

Ibedayank

Oct 29, 2011
Columbia Tennessee
looks like you did some research
couple points to think over
The gasline being so close to the cylinder looks like it is touching.
Should have installed a filter in the gasline between the tank and carb as the carbs do not like junk in them. Cleaner the gas the better.

If you find that the brakes do not work well enough for you up grade to a set of Vbrake for a mountian bike. Its a direct bolt on job.
Brakes like this are Vbrakes

this will not be the last one you build

porkchop

Jul 13, 2012
Illinois
thanks Donphantasmo it was a fun build,your right the tinkering will never end...well till the next project build...lol
Ibedayank,yes i did quiet a bit of research & browsing through this forum...the fuel line is about 1/2 - 3/4 inch from engine i made sure it didnt touch,yes i do need a fuel filter for sure,as far as the brakes i might have to do the Fred Flintstone thing a few times..i will keep those V brakes in mind thanks for the tip.

donphantasmo

Oct 3, 2010
Middleburg, FL
I'm telling you, Pork-chop. Go to walmart (or a local bike shop) or even Ebay. Any front brakes are better then no brakes at all.

This will save your life... It's only <20$$$.

porkchop

Jul 13, 2012
Illinois
bought #41 chain lastnight broke it to the size i need,installed, works like a charm...put 50 miles on my first ride today (after a few times around the block)installed fuel filter & new brake shoes or pads on the front everything seems to be working like it should...motor does seem to be starving for gas when WOT...petcock issues i read about in this forum so glad i joined..troubleshooting is great on here...info is abundant!
thanks guys for your help & input makes understanding much easier...
one thing...traffic here isnt to bad but automobile drivers sure are impatient & very inconsiderate of people on anything smaller then Harley..can be dangerous out there... so with that said...keep your eyes & ears open,be carefull!!

porkchop

Jul 13, 2012
Illinois
thanks for the compliment maniac57,i had fun building it..i ride it around town people sure look lol...that exhaust is a little noisy but they hear me cruising by

JonnyR

May 13, 2012
ronkonkoma, new york
im glad to hear someone is having luck with there skyhawk motor i hated mine it was nothing but problems for me along with the EPA carb i love the NT carb and not having the choke on the handle bars is awesome also what brand of expansion chamber is that and i like the look of your bike as a whole it looks comfortable

porkchop

Jul 13, 2012
Illinois
hi Jonny
thanks... the expansion chamber is from Arrow,the bike is pretty comfy to ride.i'm pretty satisfied with the Skyhawk motor,like anything that is mass produced you will come across some bad ones no matter what brand...same with new cars sometimes you end up with a lemon... EPA carb,yeah they have problems.

JonnyR

May 13, 2012
ronkonkoma, new york
no you got lucky and got a good shyhawk or its a GT-4 the GT-5 is problems for most its not uncommon for them not to last though the break in i here its there new factory and that the old owner stepped down so quality control isn't good

good luck with it and i hope you get many miles out of her

porkchop

Jul 13, 2012
Illinois
its a GT-5 i've put about 250 miles on it so far,i hope she lasts for a while if not i'll use it for a boat anchor...lol