California question...

GoldenMotor.com

Sufimystic

Mar 4, 2012
Lincoln, California
I am trying to register my ride in california, Ive dowloaded the Motorized Bicycle Application and it asks for a vin for the bike which i believe is the number on the frame under the crank. But the engine number is what I am confused about, cant seem to find one, I have one of those Happy Times 80cc chinese engines, My question is do they have a number and where is it? or should I just make up one, nobody will probibly check it. Any help would be greatly appreciated, Thanks..... Mark

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com
I am trying to register my ride in california, Ive dowloaded the Motorized Bicycle Application and it asks for a vin for the bike which i believe is the number on the frame under the crank. But the engine number is what I am confused about, cant seem to find one, I have one of those Happy Times 80cc chinese engines, My question is do they have a number and where is it? or should I just make up one, nobody will probibly check it. Any help would be greatly appreciated, Thanks..... Mark
They generally don't have a serial #.
Use the bike vin / serial # with an E in front of it for the engine #
Exxxxxxxxxxx

The fee is $19 now for the plate.
Good luck!

isldtime

Sep 18, 2011
So.Ca.
Ok here we go.
My Pacific MTB does not have a S/N under the crank or anyplace else I can find.
Can I make 1 up and engrave it there and use that??

Sufimystic

Mar 4, 2012
Lincoln, California
I sent mine in and got the plate in about a week and a half, I thought they might question my puting the E in front of the serial # for the engine, they never inquired about anything, I would think if you stamped a # on the frame, it is just to identify that particular bike. you might want to check regs for how the experimental vehicle registration works, I dont think they have a serial # and one has to come from somewhere, maybe there is some series of letters and numbers just to keep the nomenclature right for DMV. hope it helps, Mark

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
yeah, you can stamp one in. once you have a plate, that particular bike is registered for that particular plate. if a cop checks and the number doesn't match, you can get busted for falsified registration or something.

it's like switching plates on a car. big time fine, plus possible impoundment, etc...

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
Yup.

What Bairdco said.

Better to have nothing than something they might consider questionable.

...but if YOU are the builder, IMO you have every right to put whatever numbers on something you wish, so long as it meets their requirements. THEN you will need to meet the REST of their demands!

Best
rc

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
You can also use a electric etcher & write some numbers on the frame (& engine).

I cuncur with the above posts... the numbers on your frame better match what you write on the form, or you'll be in some trouble if you get caught! :(

isldtime

Sep 18, 2011
So.Ca.
Thanks for the replys. Figured I would use my own number system on bike and engine. Practiced last night with the Dremmel on a piece of painted steel.
Been just riding around the neighborhood without a plate but would like to go farther without getting hassled.
Might get me a better price when I sell it too!!

BigBlue

Nov 29, 2011
California
Sufi,

glad that you got your plate so quick.

I've sent my in twice at the beginning of the year and rejected twice. Used the engine and bike numbers, but didn't use a "E" on the engine number. The response was that unable to locate in DMV records even though I filled out only Part A and D on Form 230. Answered "Yes" to all the questions in Section A. I checked the first box - Complete Sections A and D for original application... I guess I got some one new at DMV. I'll try with another build and see what happens.

Chris
AKA: BigBlue

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
Sufi,

glad that you got your plate so quick.

I've sent my in twice at the beginning of the year and rejected twice. Used the engine and bike numbers, but didn't use a "E" on the engine number. The response was that unable to locate in DMV records even though I filled out only Part A and D on Form 230. Answered "Yes" to all the questions in Section A. I checked the first box - Complete Sections A and D for original application... I guess I got some one new at DMV. I'll try with another build and see what happens.

Chris
AKA: BigBlue
That's very weird that you got rejected twice!?!?
It sounds like you filled it out correctly... I've never had any problems filling the form out the way you did. :rolleyes:

Here's a link to the form... http://www.dmv.ca.gov/forms/reg/reg230.pdf

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
No, it's not weird, for the CA dmv.

They are basically thieves, and incompetent at that.

I was once in the automobile sales business, here in Kalifornia.
When we had a vehicle with paperwork and fee issues, we called the special 'dealer line' to resolve things.

Our standard procedure, if we got an answer we did not like, was to hang up.
Then we called back, got a different person, and hopefully an answer that was more to our liking.

We moved at least 50 units each month, so it paid off.

Good luck with that!
rc

isldtime

Sep 18, 2011
So.Ca.
Sent the form in about 2 weeks ago and it was returned today :-||

They needed my driver lic number and the forms sent back.

No biggie because on the form(that looks like a temp reg.) was my new

LICENSE PLATE NUMBER dance1

I'm good now......

isldtime

Sep 18, 2011
So.Ca.
*****FINALLY*****

It showed up today!

Handy hint: When you send in your form to the DMV include your drivers license number (or a copy of your License)

That's why mine came back the 1st. time....

MysterySandwich

Jun 30, 2012
California
Hmm, I'm 17 & 1/2 and I don't have a license nor a permit. . . I'm actually thinking of going illegal and putting a gas engine on a cruiser. (without an M1 or registration)

I've never seen anyone with something like this in my area (Berkeley, CA) I wonder if the police will stop me? But I should be smart and go eBike, but I really want to go gas >< And the motorcycle courses are so expensive... and it would take lots of time

Does anyone think I should go gas?

isldtime

Sep 18, 2011
So.Ca.
If you want to be a MC rider the rest of your life do the course before you are 18......

Cheaper now!!

Joemamma

Apr 8, 2011
Ca
Hey all,

I'm having the same problem with Calif. registration. I sent in the form and they sent it back requesting VIN, Engine# and Make. This is my first build and the only things original are the head tube, forks and seat tube and they're all from different bikes. Do I just make up a name for the "make"?