is there any good mods to the eng. mounts?

GoldenMotor.com

captainrichhill

May 31, 2008
I've snapped engine mount bolts twice. The thin metal bracket for the mount keeps bending and stresses out the bolts.
Anyone have a better way to improve the bracket??? Maybe a thicker "strap" won't bend as much? Or a contoured semi circle to match the mounting bracket so you'll have 2 halves that clamp on the frame?
I don't know. I'm just thinking out loud. I'm getting tired of easy-outing the broken studs.( although I'm getting quite quick at it)
Any ideas???

Biker Mike

Mar 21, 2008
Cropwell Alabama
There is a post on here some where (not sure where) but it shows you how to replace the bracket with an automotive universal joint bracket (fit perfect). I found them at advanced auto for cheap and they work GREAT.

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
make a plate to go on the outside of the nuts that you are tightening, while the nuts are loose. Have it stradling the studs together as you tighten the nuts, last add two more nuts to the outer side of your anti stud spread plate.

tyrslider

Sep 26, 2008
RainCity
When I get my motor this week I'm going to be addressing the same issue and in addition I have an o/s down tube. I'm not a fan of drilling the frame but I'm a fan of tidy professional workmanship. That said if you drill the frame and weld a piece of hollow round stock in the frame, you can use the adapter w/o weakening your frame. I'll see if I can't machine up some alternatives. Goat herder has a sensable idea w/ the keeper.

captainrichhill

May 31, 2008
Pablo,
thanks for the thread. Now that I see some that work, I think I can come up with something. Maybe some auto exhaust U-bolts. Attach engine mount to bracket then use U bolts to attach to frame.